Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK running hot

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
There are lots of threads about commodores running hot or overheating and lots of ideas on how to deal with it from changing the thermostat to putting in electric fans etc. An often overlooked issue is a bad fan clutch not pushing enough air. It is easy and cheap to replace.

Another thing that will make your ride run hot is a slipping harmonic balancer, especially if your volt meter is running low and are having battery problems as well ... if you are not sure put a bit of a mark on your balancer and line it up with another mark on the timing cover and crank the engine or take a drive ... if the marks have moved then the harmonic balancer is slipping on its mount and it is time to change it ...

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Since I was 25 I've probably put more original fans back on vb-vk commodores than thermo fans on them. In the 15 years I drove the 1964 design of holden 6 only once did the harmonic balancer fly off of course I was 100 miles from home when it happened the water pump belt did stay on the aircon pulley for that drive home on the battery. I've had more water pumps fail than harmonic balancers . Maybe Im pretty lazy and only look under the bonnet once every couple of months now days why i can't drive a commodore anymore.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
It is amazing what bolting on a new fan clutch can do when the car has overheat issues. It can drop the temp back into the blue or near enough rather than having the car running well over 3/4 on the gauge. It is a simple fix.

sire01TMK

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK 308
It is amazing what bolting on a new fan clutch can do when the car has overheat issues. It can drop the temp back into the blue or near enough rather than having the car running well over 3/4 on the gauge. It is a simple fix.

What brand fan clutch do you use?

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
It was just an aftermarket version and i got it on Ebay from a major car parts seller. I suppose you could try and get the best brand you can get. I don't remember the brand and i don't know how many different factories are churning them out. I did not think it would make such a difference but i was amazed at the difference it made.

sire01TMK

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK 308
I might check out the dayco ones.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
That rings a bell. I might have picked up a Dayco. Summer is coming fellas, so check your fan clutches.

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
My vk 308 runs about half on the guage sometime it creept to 3/4 on a hot day I was insanly worried about it. I got one of those digital laser temp thingos which put my mind at ease a bit. I cant remeber the exact reading but at about half temp I think the car was close up to 100 degrees the pipe coming back out of the radiator was generally 5-10 degrees cooler than the water coming into the radiator obviosuly I could only check while the car was idling. I always though the ideal spot was bang on the 2nd line but mine is usually over that it just fluctuates which annoys me but the laser temp sensor eased my mind a bit. Mine prolly runs a bit hot though since its m21 4 speed warm motor and 4.11 diff gears.

A thread I started is below which will have the exact details of the digital laser temp reader.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vk-v8-temp-gauge-anyo.270017/

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
The gauge if working properly in conjunction with the temp sender should read just below half way or half to just over under load and on a hot day. Check or just replace your clutch fan; do a full cooling system flush (properly!) with new good quality coolant, replace all hoses including heater hoses; replace thermostat. Ensure the auxiliary electric fan comes on when the A/C compressor kicks in, replace it with a bigger one as I did would be my advice (assuming you have A/C...).

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
What a number of people forget is that the poor old radiator has been out in the elements for years & years, collected mud, bugs, birds, leaves etc etc. And without fail the radiator nor condenser (if fitted) are removed regularly and cleaned. Without air passing though the radiators "fins" the engines coolant cannot cool efficiently. As a truck mechanic we had to remove cooling packages yearly & those vehicles that ran throughout the night more frequently, with out fail most were clogged with bugs mostly stuck between the intercooler & radiator. So don't under estimate the importance of having a clean & efficient radiator.