Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK SL rebuild first timer

Kelsomate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 202
Hey guys finally got my first commodore and it is a 202 carby VK SL commodore 1984.

Bought it off a guy for $300 (went to school with him) but its not running at the moment.

Have replaced the ignition coil, dizzy cap and rotor button but there is still no spark. Spark plugs are NGK new plugs.

Anyone have any idea what it might be?

Thanks heaps

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Are you just checking for spark at the plugs or have you checked spark at the coil?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Is the rotor button actually turning around when you crank the engine?

Kelsomate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 202
Ill check that later on as its pissing down with rain. Car is also being jumped off my cruze as battery is dead would that affect it much?? Has a 450cca 75 rc battery but its completely flat. Have been told a 600cca battery would be better

grantius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
Is there a vacuum advance canister on the dizzy? If not, i suspect the car might still be EST timed.

If you check in the passenger bay, where your left foot would go there is a kick panel - pull the kick panel and there should be an EST computer. is that still there?

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
If you want a good battery for it buy an optima yellow top, its the only battery I use in my cars One is over 10 years old and still going strong.

Your problem is going to be one of 3 things
1 - Stripped dizzy gear
2 - stripped timing gear
3 - buggered EST

So as others have said check your rotor button spins when turning the engine over, if it doesn't take the oil filler cap off and see if the rockers are moving when you turn the motor over.

If all is ok above then its probably your EST computer best bet there is to fit a VH or EFI VK dizzy to the car.

If your dizzy gear is stripped get yourself a gear off an oil pump for a VK and fit that to the dizzy you wont ever strip that one.
If your timing gear is stripped buy an alloy one.

Scott

Kelsomate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 202
Is there a vacuum advance canister on the dizzy? If not, i suspect the car might still be EST timed.

If you check in the passenger bay, where your left foot would go there is a kick panel - pull the kick panel and there should be an EST computer. is that still there?

Couldnt see this in the passenger side? But no vacuum in dizzy. I put a new battery in and its ticking faster but still no start up

Rotor button is moving as well might be problem with fuel? Car hasnt been started in over a year

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Try dribbling into the carb. a very few drops of fuel, and if it fires your on the way. If it does fire perhaps the fuel pump is U S. Do you have fresh fuel in the tank?

Carb. VKs were good things. I had one in the '90s for quite a while as a run around and work horse.

Much rust in it?

Kelsomate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 202
A little bit of rust but can all be fixed. Im letting it sit for a little bit. Fresh fuel in it, new fuel filter put aerostart in the carb as well as cleaned the carb last week with carby cleaner