Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK Transmission Slipping (I think)

Wrayza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
It happens to me aswell, but much less severe. Initially I thought it was the kick down switch, if i floored it below 60 it would kick back into first (so I thought). But after a couple of times I realised it was kicking down into neutral.

Not sure what causes it, but its not the fluid in my case. Maybe reset the kick down switch position?

Matty081

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
you'd be surprised how often this is the cause.............

only asked coz i had the same prob in a vc :p

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
i agree with there not being enough fluid my dads ford ( haha ) leaks sh!t loads of trans fluid and it slips out fairly often now

VH Vacationer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega V6
Dipstick

308vkcalais said:
Very true indeed.If you see inside the Transmission belly to where the oil pick up is located in the sump you'd see why.The Trans in an enormous hydraulic pump sucking horse power from the engine & needs oil under extreme pressure to provide drive.Transmissions are very sensitive to oil level, viscosities & heat stress.Sorry if I sound like a Scientist or a trans Greeny.ATF has a high boiling point & still remain quite viscous, but will still boil.The poor tranny often runs warmer than the engine, being at the rear, generating it's own heat & absorbing heat from the cylinder block.I've dun trans services here in my drive & filled up both our cars to where it should be & often as I drive down our drive(being on a slope)the trans will seem to drop into neutral meaning not enuf fluid.I also run huge V8 trans coolers on both our cars which is an excellent investment into trans life extension.Even if you don't tow, the extra fluid capacity & the cooler being situated in front of the air condenser does wonders & keeps the engine cooler also,..bonus..!!Often in summer periods the lame factory radiator trans coolers are ineffective & you fry the oil.Around $80 gets a good V8 tranny cooler, half an hour to fit it if you have the rite pipe spanners.I run a V8 cooler on her EFI Berlina 6 & neva had a drama.
P.S. I run small V8 fuel type filters on my trans & power steering lines.It prevents gall stones.

Too true....I notice that most autos are filled way beyond the FULL mark on the dipstick by mechanics....probably because of what you are on about !!