Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL commodore suspension question

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
i hope your daughter wasn't in the car at the same time if his driving has buggered the struts :)

broadtail

broadtail
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
bangers said:
i hope your daughter wasn't in the car at the same time if his driving has buggered the struts :)

No , she would never be in the car when he and his mates hoon around, smart kid

abcent

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina S2
Repco can also get the Nolathane products (all the bushes your replacing and strut tops, and bump stops/dust boots, even get good Monroe shocks there), might even be a good idea to compare prices with Bursons.

broadtail

broadtail
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
abcent said:
Repco can also get the Nolathane products (all the bushes your replacing and strut tops, and bump stops/dust boots, even get good Monroe shocks there), might even be a good idea to compare prices with Bursons.

:thumbsup: Thanks abcent, got my shopping list now, steering rack proved to be ok with minor movement in the rack ends, minor movement in d/side tie rod, ball joints-ok, control arm bushes ok, struts themselves ok, springs are standard and uncut, strut saddles seemed fine, but strut top assembly plates were advised to be changed as the rubber on p/side is cactus, tears in the rubber that could not be seen from the top but ready to let go! Makes you wonder how it went un-noticed [ ????? ] by those other alignment attemps as it must have been like that for some time, so now I can aleast start to fix the problems, got my orders in this afternoon and it includes a set of Nolothane adj strut tops, new set of stut inserts [ Monroe gt gas ], tie rods, steering rack ends. Rear shocks included, I might be smiling at last :yeah:

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
broadtail said:
:thumbsup: Thanks abcent, got my shopping list now, steering rack proved to be ok with minor movement in the rack ends, minor movement in d/side tie rod, ball joints-ok, control arm bushes ok, struts themselves ok, springs are standard and uncut, strut saddles seemed fine, but strut top assembly plates were advised to be changed as the rubber on p/side is cactus, tears in the rubber that could not be seen from the top but ready to let go! Makes you wonder how it went un-noticed [ ????? ] by those other alignment attemps as it must have been like that for some time, so now I can aleast start to fix the problems, got my orders in this afternoon and it includes a set of Nolothane adj strut tops, new set of stut inserts [ Monroe gt gas ], tie rods, steering rack ends. Rear shocks included, I might be smiling at last :yeah:

Maybe not yet, here's something 4 you!!
What nobody will tell is/or forgets to mention when you fit the Nolathane top bearing plates is that it WILL rasie the front by 20mm!!
I know because thats what happened to my VL..

broadtail

broadtail
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
mag said:
Maybe not yet, here's something 4 you!!
What nobody will tell is/or forgets to mention when you fit the Nolathane top bearing plates is that it WILL rasie the front by 20mm!!
I know because thats what happened to my VL..

:ranting: :cry: :ranting: ok, you've got my attention, have you found out why it raises the front??? I assumed that it would still follow original specs, if not , how does your vl handle the change?? you still using your Nolothane plates?? does it give problems with alignment?? I mean does it make a difference??, is 20mm that noticeable?? I certainly wont try to lower it, will it sag in time?? :confused:

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
broadtail said:
:ranting: :cry: :ranting: ok, you've got my attention, have you found out why it raises the front??? I assumed that it would still follow original specs, if not , how does your vl handle the change?? you still using your Nolothane plates?? does it give problems with alignment?? I mean does it make a difference??, is 20mm that noticeable?? I certainly wont try to lower it, will it sag in time?? :confused:

OK it raises the front because of the Nolathane's thickness and it does NOT compress.
My Nolathane's are still in, just wish someone said b4 hand as while the suspension was out and I would have put in lower springs as yes it is noticeable.
If the wheelaligner knows his job there is a slight change about 1.5degs in it..:eek:

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
mag said:
OK it raises the front because of the Nolathane's thickness and it does NOT compress.
My Nolathane's are still in, just wish someone said b4 hand as while the suspension was out and I would have put in lower springs as yes it is noticeable.
If the wheelaligner knows his job there is a slight change about 1.5degs in it..:eek:

Me again, put a jack under the front of the car and lift it the 20mm and see what it looks like?
If you can handle it like that all's cool!!

broadtail

broadtail
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
mag said:

thanks, I wouldn't have thought 20mm is that great but then again stranger things do occur, I mean I like some of the sweet rides I've seen since joining JC and have to admit for some reason the VL comes up a treat and I seem to drift more to the VL and that from a FORD person, Don't misunderstand there are some really sweet treats in the FORD camp as well, But maybe I'm showing my age, that I'm not one to go all out [ Nah thats not it] my wife's cancer comes first and to keep myself positive , I want to restore my VL even if it takes some time as mods are $$$$$$$$$, and wife's treatment is mega $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ so I'm still trying to find the bottom of the bottomless pit. cheers to all who have responded , its good to hear how others have fared with their rides. :thumbsup:

Marco-EFIVL

Now driving R34 GT-T taxi
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan Skyline, R34 GT-T (RB25DET NEO) sedan
All I know is that the VL, from what I understand, was the last model commodore to have a ridgid rear axel set up, VP's and onward got IRS (Independant Rear Suspension). Hence some components may not fit from newer models onto VL's, VB and VK models would be your best bet.

Btw, best of luck with your wife's treatment mate, I hope it all comes out for the best.