Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vl Differential

SuperStar

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

i got a 1987 5.0L VL Berlina Series 2. I was reading through Max Ellery's book over the weekend and it was going on about the Diff Identification tag. As i want to know if mine has a LSD or just SD. i went and pulled the ID Tag off. Now it reads:

P/N 92030912
Ratio 3.08 Ser.No.1490

In Ellery's book it doesn't tell you how to read the tag. I was hoping someone here would be able to give me an idea of what kind of diff it is. Weather it be LSD or SD.

Thanks guys.

Charles.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
G'day Charles, don't take it as gospel but the factory LSD VL's should have 'LSD' written on the diff tag and G80 should be on the compliance plate. Most have the brown filler plug too, but this could have been changed. My old VL Turbo didn't have the LSD tag or the code on the comp plate, it was changed at some point in it's life, so keep that in mind.

I'm pretty sure the V8's got a 28 spline axles with LSD optional, just like the turbos with the exception of the 3.45 crown and pinion.

Hope that helps

Jake

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Can always ring up holden with the part number.

justinredvl

Reaction score
easiest way to find out if its an lsd is to take it out to a dead rd n let it rip.....altho single spinners kick 2 wheels at times

SuperStar

Reaction score
QUOTE easiest way to find out if its an lsd is to take it out to a dead rd n let it rip.....altho single spinners kick 2 wheels at times

ive tried that, but i have troubles doing it. (not that i cant do it - i do it all the time in my vn).

As i press down on the accelerator, the brake push's itself out even with all my force on it - so i just end up taking off. i can spin the tyres on gravel (but any car can do duel spin on gravel.)

QUOTE I'm pretty sure the V8's got a 28 spline axles with LSD optional, just like the turbos with the exception of the 3.45 crown and pinion

What do you mean by that jake?

D

dumpd6

jack the back of your car up and spin one wheel with your hand and if the other side spins the same way its lsd. if it spins the opposite way its a open wheeler

justinredvl

Reaction score
btw dun forget to take handbrake off when doing as dumd6 says..... soo many people forget n wonder why it aint spinning

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Handbrake, when you've got the car jacked up and spinning the rear wheels..

Not when your doing a burnout.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
28 spline is a stronger axle that came on the turbo and V8 vehicles, stocko non turbo VL's came with a 25 spline axle= weaker. LSD was an option across the range. Look at the compliance plate, or ring Holden and quote the part number.

Doing a burnout is really unnecessary