Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Injectors

Simba355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn
Hi Gents,

***fixed and the answer is in post 32*** for those who stumble across this when searching for answers like I did. I know some people never get back on with the answer.

Before I start I will let you guys know I have googled the crap out of this with no real answers from people who have had similar issues. It seems as though when so eone fixes the issue they never follow up.

Just about finished my vl "semi" restoration. The car did run but not in the past 3-4years. Along the way after it had been pulled down for paint and reassembled I basically replaced anything I could so I could have a reliable weekender.

It's a standard N/A Rb 30 auto non turbo.
I have completed the following.

Vs fuel pump conversion with all new fuel line under the car, it has fuel at the rail and with a noid light the injector plug is pulsing.

It has spark at the plug.

The car continuously turns over without the slightest bit of starting but with aerostart it will fire over.

So I'm at the point now that although I have injector pulse but no fuel coming out would obviously point in the direction of 6 dud injectors? I would understand 2 or 3 but 6? What else could I check from the injector point of view?

I have had a look at the ECU codes and got 23,24 and 31 but these wouldn't stop it from running.

All earth's look fine

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If the injectors are still the originals, then they could be very blocked so best to check if any fuel is coming out of them.
Obviously take safety precautions and don't aim for a Darwin award by smoking while you're playing with flamable sprays :oops:

Also, if the injectors are blocked and the tank hasn't been removed and cleaned internally, it could still be full of crap so new lines on their own may not be enough to provide long term reliability. Just a heads up.

In my case I had a couple of fully blocked injectors a while back. As such I removed the injectors and them drained and flushed the tank, fuel lines and fuel rail clean. Then I washed the external part of the injectors with isopropal alcohol and let them soak in it for an hour or so. I then used a good 9V battery to manually activate each injector while flushing carb cleaner spray through the injector. In my case it all worked really well as acccess to tank, lines and injectors was rather easy (unlike it would be in my VF). The isopropal alcohol also disolved all the crud on the outside of the injector and especially the injector tip really well. I suspect it softened the internal blockage as well which was why the carb cleaner was able to spray out all the crud during the injector activation. Sometimes you also need to reverse flush them to clean the injector filter screen but i didn't need to do such.

The following videos outline a cheap home flush process though there are as many variations of this on youtube as there are kittens playing with long strings ...

and

and

if they are not fuilly blocked, the following can also work

Good luck and post back the outcome.

Simba355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn
Thanks for the swift reply.

I have completed a vs tank conversion and now run only the internal vs pump with all new lines, fuel filter etc. Have super clean fuel flowing great now.

Can I check anything electronically before I pull the rail and injectors out?

I will look over the video tonight for injector cleaning.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Thanks for the swift reply.

I have completed a vs tank conversion and now run only the internal vs pump with all new lines, fuel filter etc. Have super clean fuel flowing great now.

I will look over the video tonight for injector cleaning.
Anything done to the engine during the semi resto?

Simba355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn
Apart from the paint all I did was new CAS, coil and serviceable items along with a vs tank conversion. Engine is from the car before paint.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Apart from the paint all I did was new CAS, coil and serviceable items along with a vs tank conversion. Engine is from the car before paint.
After a long crank, are the plugs wet with fuel?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Anything done to the engine during the semi resto?
OP said
The car continuously turns over without the slightest bit of starting but with aerostart it will fire over.
As it kicks over with "start you bastard" (name always makes me laugh), I suspect it's just not getting fuel into the combuston chamber.

Easy enough to check injector resistance is good across all injectors and also easy enough in an line 6 to pull the injector rail and see if they fire fuel. Heck pull rail and pop injectors in 6 small coke bottles and start her up will soon show which injectors aren't firing at all or aren't firing well..

PS: even easier to check for wet plugs but it wont show if you have dribbly injcetors which don't fire well (you need a fine spray to have any hope of firing her up).

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
You can check all injectors have similar resistance. It's mentioned in one of the videos.