Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vl ls1 cooling system

Stevevl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl sl
hi guys, I have a vl with a ls1 turbo motor in it? I just have some quaestions about keeping it cool, whilst cruising my engine temp seems to sit around the 210f if I’m really feeding it it can get right up to 330f. I have done all I can think of with a cooling setup such as a south coast radiator 4 core copper radiator with twin thermos, water pump changed, thermostat changed, new coolant new cap etc but nothing seems to have changed the temp it runs at. Am I just being over cautious with those temps getting to that or do I need to dig deeper?
I do have an intercooler in front of the radiator though there is a decent gap between them and can feel the fans pulling air through both easy enough.
Just after any advice or info, cheers guys

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
Stevevl: if its 330f that's 165deg C its not going to live long at those temps.

Can I suggest you check the accuracy of your temp gauge, maybe the sender & gauge aren't compatible?????. Also check at which temps the fans are switching on (also correct rotation) as once the engine is hot its very hard to cool. Also is your radiator new or only new to you as Ive witnessed blocked or partially blocked radiators cores with rads that look new from the outside but blocked inside.

A good cooling system should be operating just a couple deg's above thermostat opening temp at 110kph, (not withstanding +30 deg C days & line-locked doing burn outs or skids)!

Stevevl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl sl
Stevevl: if its 330f that's 165deg C its not going to live long at those temps.

Can I suggest you check the accuracy of your temp gauge, maybe the sender & gauge aren't compatible?????. Also check at which temps the fans are switching on (also correct rotation) as once the engine is hot its very hard to cool. Also is your radiator new or only new to you as Ive witnessed blocked or partially blocked radiators cores with rads that look new from the outside but blocked inside.

A good cooling system should be operating just a couple deg's above thermostat opening temp at 110kph, (not withstanding +30 deg C days & line-locked doing burn outs or skids)!

Sorry mate meant to read 230f not 330f also it’s all brand new setup nothing is second hand. I’m just not sure if I’m being paranoid or not. Thanks for the reply mate

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
230f is 110deg C so if you have a 12psi cap you are still below boiling point.

I would have thought that it spikes to 230f during punishment & there is no loss of coolant its JUST ok. But if it was me I'd want the temps closer to 90deg C (194f) at cruise as you're on the limit @ 98deg c (210f).

Im sure there are guys with the same setup which will be able to answer with a little more authority!

Stevevl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl sl
230f is 110deg C so if you have a 12psi cap you are still below boiling point.

I would have thought that it spikes to 230f during punishment & there is no loss of coolant its JUST ok. But if it was me I'd want the temps closer to 90deg C (194f) at cruise as you're on the limit @ 98deg c (210f).

Im sure there are guys with the same setup which will be able to answer with a little more authority!

Yeah it spikes at 230f whilst getting punished at powercruise and such, cools down fairly quickly once cruising again. On the street though it will still sit at around 210-215f just cruising at 80k’s as well. I’ll have to double check what the psi of the radiator cap it is again now. I too would like it sitting a bit lower mainly when cruising, I just don’t know what else I could do or change to achieve it.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
Have you tried to bring the fans on sooner, also are they progressive? ie; 1 switches on at a lower temp (normally the smaller diameter one) & the main one at 10 deg C hotter?????

Stevevl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl sl
Have you tried to bring the fans on sooner, also are they progressive? ie; 1 switches on at a lower temp (normally the smaller diameter one) & the main one at 10 deg C hotter?????

Both fans come on at the same time, they come on at 185f. I can get a tuner to adjust the fans though so one comes on slightly earlier