Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL running lumpy

aussie1612

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL Commodore
VL engine hezitation

Hey guys.

I recently bought myself a VL SL commodore n/a RB30 with the 5 speed. She was just sitting in some old ladies garage with 98,000km on the clock.

Now, there are a few little niggles that its got.
- There is a buzzing noise coming from the fuel pump (external) when i start up. Is this normal?
- At about 60km/h there is a really high pitched squeal coming from the same general area. What do you think it is?
- It runs fine when idling and when i slowly bring the revs up in neutral it still runs fine, but when accelerating it feels and sounds like its running on 5 cylinders. I replaced the fuel filter and put in some injector cleaner and it ran perfectly for one day but then went back to its nasty habits. What could this be? Im thinking maybe it has something to do with the fuel pump, maybe the afm, maybe dirty crappy fuel left in the tank? But i honestly dont know.

Please help!

Last edited:

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
firstly welcome to JC forum.
the fuel pump should buzz for about 7 secs when you turn the key ready to start, then after you start it will buzz continuously, if it is unusually loud there maybe a problem with it or fuel regulator.
the squeal is probably a wheel bearing, faulty rear brake part or more commonly centre bearing in the tailshaft.
what fuel do you use?

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
I've found out that my fuel pump is good to me if I turn the ignition on until the buzzing stops, start her up, and keep her above 1/4 tank. When the tank gets low, the fuel pump whines like a bitch cos', well, there's hardly any fuel in the tank which makes the pump work harder. As for the high pitched squeal, I wouldn't know any useful ideas on that one, sorry. Also, welcome!

aussie1612

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL Commodore
im running her on premium.

the other day i replace the fuel filter. i also took out the external fuel pump and just put it back in just to check it out (probably doesnt make a difference). The day after that, she ran perfectly. that was the only time its actually worked. then the day after, it started running rough again. im fairly sure its something to do with one of the fuel pumps. how would i diagnose any problems with either pump?

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
could be a failing pump.... but a AFM thats on its way out can also cause this..... or it being out of spec and needs a tune
other factors could b CAS, crappy leads/plugs/ worn dizzy cup and rotor, dirty intake/throttle body
bad fuel
timing etc etc
goes on and on

go over all electrical plugs in your engine bay with contact cleaner or INOX/WD40
welcome to JC and goodluck let us know.

aussie1612

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL Commodore
thanks mate. ill do that and let you know how i go.