Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vl Starting Problem Tried the obvious(Sorry New Thread)

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Ok Guys as I have not been here since April 2007 somebody I would say has opened a thread similar.
I got a problem and I have tried for weeks to rectify.
Vl commo wont start now.
Previously it was driving nice then was just cutting out anywhere at any RPM.
I have changed AFM Checked all fittings Air fittings/Electronic plugs under boots and Voltage checks. Car Started touch the throttle and it would die (Something an AFM is responsible for and have tried 2 other AFM’s)
Changed CAS (Crank Angle Sensor) and rewired plug on top of dizzy as i found under the boot 2 wires which measure 5v where actually corroded and was detached.
Car drove perfect for a week to and from work. Then the problem arose once more. Cranking not starting had a wiggle of wires fooled around and she fired and was good Lasted a few days Now dead again checked over everything I have done and seems to be fine
Checked plugs Leads, Coil and Dizzy Cap and changed which I moved over from my old white Vl . No luck
Error Codes pulled from ECU are the usual like 23(throttle switch) and 24(neutral switch) easily cleared. NOT Showing 11 (CAS) and 12 (AFM)
Am left with 21 (Ignition Signal Switch). If i reset the ECU and clear the codes it does not show this value. Clear codes again and it shows up its intermittent <----- Possible Cause
I also have tried a different ECU no luck. Both Fuel pumps Low pressure/High Pressure are running and i have good fuel pressure no leaks etc.
I have changed over the PT (Power Transistor) on the dizzy also to see if it was malfunctioning. All fuses/ Relays are good.
I’m basically outta ideas lads as all she is doing is Cranking but not firing. Thanks for reading this Essay but I don’t want a mechanic stooge to charge me for doing the same stuff I have already done
Cheers…
Nath

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Hey bud. I did not replace the bearing no, but there is no orange residue in the dizzy housing where the CAS is located.
I have another dizzy here i can grab the bearing from grease it up and try that. Better still put the whole dizzy in remembering to change the CAS back over to it :p
Thanks for your quick reply

Last edited:

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
prob easyer to just chuck the whole dissy in, saves having to take the bearing out and possibly not getting it in correct

also make sure the CAS disc is clean, no grease finger prints or anything on it

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Timing?

Cranking but not firing sounds like timing to me.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
timing has not shifted as i have marked on the dizzy bolt slide where my timing is marked so i know if it has moved. Thanks m8.
I will grab a timing light to be sure

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
No air leaks in the intake?

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Nah bud one of the first things i checked i stated above...
Its weird just trying to pull out my top bearing of my dizzy now.... well the spare i have infront of me here so i can put that in the dizzy in the car

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Ok lads an update. i have played around with the CAS once more and everything seems fine
I have checked voltages all good
If i leave the car for about an hour and then try start it she starts and purrs nice idle not missing/farting etc
As soon as i touch the throttle the car dies and then all im left with now is a cranking engine and no spark again...
Leave it an hour and it does the same again....
Is the ECU recognising something is wrong and turning of the signal to the PT and Coil...?
Error code is 21 (Ignition Signal Circuit error) any ideas??????
Thanks again
Nathman