Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Wagon LS1 + Powerglide

various_one

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon, LS1 + Powerglide
Here is my VL wagon, purchased the car for $400. Started life as an RB30 5 speed manual. Plan was to convert to an ls1 engine which I already had along with a powerglide.

The project originally was meant to be a low cost budget build skid pig. I bought a home made 'kit' off a bloke for $800 which included engine mounts, ecu and loom to suit, extractors, basically everything to make it work (all parts came from a vs ute with an ls1) only catch, it was all hand made in a drive way without relocating the starter motor - it became a real headache, **** just wasn't fitting and the build quality was poor plus we needed to modify the steering rack.

I quickly realised there is no such thing as a 'reliable' budget build so the car began to make a slightly different direction.

I ordered a left hand starter motor kit from CRS as well as engine mounts, gearbox mounts and cross member. Also got the Pacemaker extractors to suit.

I have a few mates that work at a panel shop and they done the back to metal paint job, the colour is a 2014 Mazda duco with extra candy coats, looks smick in the sun! I was wrapped with job they done and needed to get some new shoes for the car - Simmons FR1 20's for the front and 22×12' deep dish 3 piece wheels for the back.

The motor is stock, mild cam is the only treatment for now. A new motor will be built next year. The engine sports a Holley high rise manifold with twin Aeroflow throttle bodies. I have an Aussie Desert Cooler radiator and trans cooler to keep temps down.

The powerglide has been fully rebuilt and runs a 3000 converter. Custom 1 piece tailshaft will be ready early January. Just running the standard diff and gears with a mini spool for now - a shortened built diff will be early next year so we can put the 22's on.

Interior will be done in the new year as well, going all black with black venetians, modern tachos will be installed but the actually dash will retain its originality.

Still have a fair few things to do but will post more progress photos as I go.

Fuel filer shaved

Test fitting the bonnet

K&N filters bolted on and exhaust fitted

3' pipes - Powerglide installed

Tub mock up

22' tyre comparison

Last edited:

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Absolutely love the colour man, keen to see this progressing.

various_one

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers Sandman, I was sitting at a set of traffic lights one day and a Mazda6 or something like that went by and the colour popped, it was that instant I knew which colour I was going to go with!

VL_3692

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL Berlina 5L, VR Daily
perfect combo. v8, red body on black wheels. cant wait to see this thing progress. awesome work mate

various_one

Reaction score
Members Ride
So i mucked around with the rear end a little, removed the diff and all association parts and gave the undercarriage a really good clean with truck wash and high pressure clean, then give it a few coats of chassic black. I will do the front half next spare day i get. Just need to tidy up the diff and add the mini spool for now, so basically running a stock standard BW with 25 spline axles and standard gears - i know these a re weak as piss but im hoping these hold up for a little while to start with, burnouts wont put a huge strain on it i hope.
There didn't seem like any point in shortening a BW - you can only really take about 70mm off each side before any futher modifications are needed (pan hard rod, control arms ect) so I have purchased a 9 inch diff housing which i will be shortening, and adding a notched rear end with 4 link setup with the tubs most probably mid next year.
Really trying to get the car going on a tight budget now, to the car to this point has put a major dint in my economy!

various_one

Reaction score
Members Ride
Had a bit of a play around on photo shop the other night, pretty much got a good idea of the finished product!

IMG_20150107_124427_zpsey1weplf.jpg
[/URL]

VL_3692

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL Berlina 5L, VR Daily
This is gonna be so fat

various_one

Reaction score
Members Ride
Spent a few more days on the wagon this weekend - removed the motor and decided to strip it down and rebuild it, heads have been sent to a mate in canberra for some work, i have another ls1 block that has been fully preped which is for a stock car project which I will use with the wagon now. I will pick the heads up next weekend along with a decent cam, h/d lifters, new valves, push rods, ect. I will post all the specs once I get it all back. Definitely running E85 and we are expecting a healthy 300rwkw figure.

My old man rebuilt the diff, replaced all the bearings and seals so Im hoping it will hold together for a few events through the year until its time to install the 9inch, I have spare axles, gears, ect to bring along aswell. Installed new adjustable trailing arms and pan hard rod. Replaced the brake shoes and had the drum brake machined, new bits and pieces aswell, basically reconditioned, just waiting on the braided brake line with a manual rear brake lock off for skids.

Also test fitted a VN wagon tank and it fitted perfectly, I chucked the original tank in the bin with the intentions of installing a fuel cell, budget has put this on hold for now. Other problem is we shaved the fuel filler hole so I need to have the snout in the boot for now.

Installed some new struts with recoed vl turbo brakes and slotted roters, waiting on the braid brake lines here too. Removed the k frame and clean it up, repainted all components and replaced every single bush under the car. Cleaned the steering rack and replaced the tie rod ends and new boots. I probably missed a few bits and pieces but everything front and back has been refurbished or replaced.

Once the brake lines arrive this week, I will finish them and bring the car back into the panel beaters to have the tailgate, front bar, nose cone, rear bar, tail lights, headlights and door handles finished off.

ECM entry has been paid for, who else is going to Winton for Easter?

Last edited:

various_one

Reaction score
Members Ride
Seats and door cards have been removed and dropped off to a mate that does automotive retrimming, we are murdering the interior, everything will be black! Just need to order black carpet and under lay, roof will also be done but probably not straight away, I probably shouldn't have glued the windows in as the will need to be out when the roof lining is installed. I will paint all the metal in the boot and the back of the back seat satin black. Chucked the venetians in for a look see too.

Braided brake lines and new master cyclinder have been installed which completes the brake system.
Just need to paint the fuel tank, install sender, fuel pump and lines plus relocate fuel filler on the back side of the original right side wheel tub and underneath the car will be finished.
Hopefully I will have the motor and gear box in next week, then I can take the car to a mate in Junee so he can make a 1 piece tailshaft.
Then to another mates for wiring then it will be time to fire up!
Also got a blue slip the other day haha will pay rego and take it fir a cruise!