Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL WONT START - suggestions???

dinodog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 SS
Ford ********

xf commybasher said:
save yourself some time and buy a ford;)
Go f yr self dude. what! its that boreing on your site that you come on here and say what!! Anytime anyplace dude ive got the car to blow any ford **** box off the road. dont waste your ford loving fingers tips on this site.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
geez really brought this out of the archive, must of been coverd ina metter of dust
dont think this might help as the prob would be long solved but most likly the CAS

dave01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore Berlina
Vl commodore wont start

Hey sorry if i have hijacked your thread or what not, but i am in desperate need of some friendly advice with my vl and i haven't used these forums before.

ok so my vl broke down tonight and its got me and 3 of my mates stuffed as to what has happened to it, here's the scenario.....
i was driving and it lost power (coughed) and then wouldn't start again...

has spark (but its sort of a yellowy color and its smaller then usual) but its there

has plenty of fuel and fuel pressure, pulled fuel rail off to see, can also hear pump

have changed over parts off a good known working vl: such as
*Air flow meter...
*Crank angle sensor and dizzy.
*Computer
*Coil Pack

Computer only errors:
The throttle switch circuit.
neutral switch circuit(has been like it for months)

have also tried switching relays around ,and checked all the fusses. i know a bit about cars but far from been a mechanic.
have also tried reseting the timing as i only replace the timming belt 2 weeks ago thinking it might have slipt a tooth or somthing.
Doesn't even attempt to start, cough or do anything just turns over, rotor button and everyting is moving so guess its not the timming belt, its driving me insane, ppl are starting to say its electrical, could be iu dunno , i know on of my injectors is leaky and i can smell fuel, so sorta rules out the injectors not going, please help with any suggestions as i am without a car at the moment. thanks in advance Dave01 :)

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
you say the spark is yellow,
so working on that theres a problem with your electric somewhere.

-look on the points on the inside of the dissy cap make sure there clean, same with rotar arm
-the plug which goes into the CAS, make sure you have the earth strap next to it screwed down properly,
give the cable on that plug a wiggle as someone trys to turn it over (common for the cables inside to break)
also try the other sensor on the front of the dissy, wiggle that plug.
-leads are all on correct and not arching??

besides those you said your tryed the dissy (cas), coil, relays/fuse
so try that and see how you go, then give a little update

those symptoms you said happened to me randomly, was the cable on the CAS at the top. wouldnt start until i wiggled it

dave01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore Berlina
hey man thanks for the help.

umm yeh we did try wriggling the CAS top cable , whether its broken or not is another thing, guess that part of the harness isnt easy to get off/ replace off the other working vl?
will try that first thing tomorrow, have tryed as i said but not the one in fron of the dizzy, as for the yellow spark would that be caused but this broken lead?
and one last quick one, could this lead just have died all of a sudden? silly question really :p

cheers mate...

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
hey man thanks for the help.

umm yeh we did try wriggling the CAS top cable , whether its broken or not is another thing, guess that part of the harness isnt easy to get off/ replace off the other working vl?
will try that first thing tomorrow, have tryed as i said but not the one in fron of the dizzy, as for the yellow spark would that be caused but this broken lead?
and one last quick one, could this lead just have died all of a sudden? silly question really :p

cheers mate...

the cable for the CAS plugs you have to either cut off and solder a new one on or to replace the loom you follow it all the way to the computer

if you say it wont fire but will turn over then that would mean all the leads failed, as it would attemp to run still if only one failed
so im doubting its leads to think of it now.

did you also fit the dissy in the right place when you swapped them? like in terms off where the rotary arm is and the pistons are? or just guessed and pushed it in?
could be trying to fire on down strokes hence not running.
means having to set the engine on TDC and re fitting the dissy.

check the cables tommorow and then double check you have the dissy right

dave01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore Berlina
yeh will do, yeh set the cyl 1 to TDC before replacing dizzy , fah out this thing is giving me the pooh's lol. going to check that, and check over the main wiring harness in the engine bay tomorrow failing that im outta idea's....thanks for your help... very much appreciated. :D

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
are VL's know for stripping timming gears like earlier models? (cant remember if it was a VL problem)

dave01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore Berlina
It Goes :D

hey,
just thought id let ya know that i got it going, it turns out that one of the fusable links had corroded through and killed the power to the fuel injectors, that'll do it every time eh ! :p

thanks once again for you help, it was much appreciated
Dave01 :D