Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VLs aren't Holdens?

VZTHUNDER

Enhanced Custom Tuned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder MY06
I was just reading through the latest Street Commodores magazine (Has an awesome GTO on the cover), and I was reading the "Talk Convertors" section, and noticed an anounymous HSV owner whinging about the amount of VLTs featured, but one thing that caught my eye is how he said they shouldn't be called Holdens. Why shouldnt they?

It annoys me. Just because they have Nissan motors doesn't make them less of a Holden.

Infact wouldnt that mean a VN-VR isn't a Holden either, because of the Buick V6? Hmmmm

I also get annoyed at how people call them a Skyline in disguise. Ok I guess the Ford XR5T is a Volvo in disguise, because of the Volvo 5 Cylinder?

My point is I don't like how most people base engine/drivetrain on brand of car. VLs are as much of a Holden as a HK GTS Monaro, because the compliance plates/rego say so.

What are your thoughts?

then vs - vy is buick in disguise to cause they also feature a buick motor\

edit: read page 1... this has been said lol

BLOWN SS

Mong Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
VL's are HOLDEN Through and Through and I love em they are one of my favourites especially WALKY'S

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
The VL 6 is said to have been the most reliable ever commodore because nissan made the engine and auto trans

did holden make any mechanical parts on the VL 6 at all?
the previous commodore 6 engine was very bad with collapsed pistons common

89 vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exec, 94 VR SS
Funny, apparently holden struck a deal to stick nissan engines in the VN years ago and they were getting them for about 150yen or some price (i dunno translation of currency but it sounds like about 1 cent) then some guy from Holden said basically 'what about the buick' and they just stuck that in last second. so us vn'ers could of been driving nissan engines in them too

^ was from Tony Hyde who has since retired

oh also the Group A and Group 3 VLs have probably the best looking bodies on any car made EVER im my opinion and im glad australia can say they created that

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Again I was under the impression that the conversion rate increased somewhat around 1988 leading to having to find another engine. I thought that's why they changed over.

Could be wrong but I'm fairly sure I remember reading it somewhere.

I guess nobody will know the truth unless they happen to be talking to someone that was in management at the time.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
The VL 6 is said to have been the most reliable ever commodore because nissan made the engine and auto trans

did holden make any mechanical parts on the VL 6 at all?
the previous commodore 6 engine was very bad with collapsed pistons common
Funny how there are a million 202's running around with 999,999 Km's on the clock without any issues:whistling

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS Clubsport, VP Wagon Daily
Yeah 100% agree with airstrike, i reckon a 202 would out live a rb30 any day.
186's were a good engine too

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH and VT S2 Berlina ecotec
yep the 202's just wont die, i have alot of mates with rb30's in both vl's and r31 skylines and all have had problems with them. mostly crank angle sensors etc. they go alright when they work tho.

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
I heard that the VN engine bay was prepared for the rb30 to fit right in, but something happened and it was going to cost to much money to import the rb30 from japan so they used the prehistoric buick.... Its a shame.. the VN mould be much popular if they stuck with the nissan motor... VN CALAIS TURBO!

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Again I was under the impression that the conversion rate increased somewhat around 1988 leading to having to find another engine. I thought that's why they changed over.

Could be wrong but I'm fairly sure I remember reading it somewhere.

I guess nobody will know the truth unless they happen to be talking to someone that was in management at the time.

Spot on - the Aussie dollar collapsed against the Jap Yen. Cost went through the roof for the Nissan motor.

VN got the buick at the very last moment.