Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VLs aren't Holdens?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
They devolped the RB30 alongside the V6 late in the program, as they wanted the V6 to be the powerplant of choice for the VN since the RB30 was too small in cubes to go anywhere near being able to perform in the heavier VN and the Falcon was going to make it look silly. But the Americans didn't have the latest version of the V6 ready during the VN's development. During the last stages they had both engineering samples hooning around (RB30 and V6) but finally the V6 was declared ready and they went with that. But as Luke has found out the RB30 bolts straight into the VN, everything is in place to have it work. Right down to the RB30 headers bolting straight up to the VN's cat back. I've got a book writing about it at the time and the V6 was definatly the prefered motor all along, the lack of torque from the RB30 was a big concern to Holden, if it wasn't going to make it in series one the series 2 was going to allways be the V6

89 vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exec, 94 VR SS
Quick question about the RB30, I thought it wasnt legally allowed to be put into a newer car because of the rules of no earlier engines in newer cars?

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Quick question about the RB30, I thought it wasnt legally allowed to be put into a newer car because of the rules of no earlier engines in newer cars?

This is what I understand too. I thaught it was o.k. to replace the engine with one from a later car, not earlier do to emissions standards.

One way to get away with this I think is to run on straight gas.

50LTRv8

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
I thaught it was o.k. to replace the engine with one from a later car, not earlier do to emissions standards.

It's okay to replace with an engine from an earlier car too - so long as it meets the same emissions standards as the transplant receiver's engine did.

89 vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exec, 94 VR SS
Also HOlden is owned by GM, but GM also owns other companies like Daewoo for example, i think just because certain companies may 'share' parts dont really mean that much. Love how people will distance themself from nissan but will gladly align themself with chev if there is a chance (stickers badges etc)