Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vmax of VF LS3

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
First gear is way too short on my SSV, dunno why they made it so short. Maybe it’s just a US truck gearbox made for pulling stumps out of the ground.

If I’m stopped at the lights in first and turning a 90 degree corner I’m out of first before I’m halfway through the corner. Should probably just start taking off in second gear instead.
Yes, both 1st and 2nd gear are too low and made worse in VF2 with a lower diff ratio. The frustrating thing is they had 1st to 4th right in the original T56 with the same ratio options available with the TR6060 used for the LSA engines. What "bright spark" at Holden proposed to use "truck ratio" gears in a performance V8 for what reason? Obviously someone testing the LSA with HSV rejected those ratios and selected the closest and best ratio gear sets Tremec offered.

Although I doubted the 430kw of the GTS as it ran out of puff pretty quickly, I thought. The GTS gear ratios immediately feels right around the street with 5th and 6th properly usable on the freeway. Changing the gearbox ratios to GTS I'd seriously consider doing if I still owned a manual LS3.