Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn 304 rebuild

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Ah ok thought it was probably Joe he is basically only one left in Sydney still doing delco tunes not sure if Rappo does them or just cars he helps build.

The off-idle stumble is partly cam choice & gear issue...3.08 gears way too tall for normal driving especially light throttle/slow speed stuff.

I'd go 3.7 gears for best of both worlds performance & cruising apparently can get new m75 gears again $600 depending who you buy from.

Probably find your dyno runs on fb page

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hey losh1971, car drives really well. Take off is smooth (manual). Only issue Im having is around 1600-1800RPM the car seems to want to chug. I have to drop it down a gear so the revs are higher. Not sure if that's through the tune or another issue.
Yep same issues I have. Mine will be sorted at some point. But like I said I don't want to stink up your thread with my problems. I'd be keen to hear how they sort it out for you though. I imagine there is less that can be done in the tune on a VN compared to VE.

Richo0902

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V8
Ah ok thought it was probably Joe he is basically only one left in Sydney still doing delco tunes not sure if Rappo does them or just cars he helps build.

The off-idle stumble is partly cam choice & gear issue...3.08 gears way too tall for normal driving especially light throttle/slow speed stuff.

I'd go 3.7 gears for best of both worlds performance & cruising apparently can get new m75 gears again $600 depending who you buy from.

Probably find your dyno runs on fb page
What brand of diff gears would be the best and are they easy to replace..... Would have a go if it's not too difficult.

Joe is good. Really happy with the tune. Not too sure if Rappo does the Delco tunes or not. As you said, we all know he builds.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
You're only going to get improvement with retune in light throttle/low rpm if original tuner either did crap job or never really bothered with drivability just basically dyno-tuned & got car out the door.

You put bigger cam can't expect it to be same as a stocker..pushes everything up in rpm hence shorter diff gears or stally(if auto) is simplest fix.

H

harrop.senator

Spicer gears are the genuine and what you want. They're fiddly ND time consuming to set up. Not all that difficult but patience trying. You'll need a dial gauge and some lapping paste.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I use Jason @ Gear Exchange Smithfield although Diff Trans moved out to South Windsor I think.

Been told February at earliest is when diff gears/lsd can be done on my vp ute.

Think there might only one brand now....I want the warranty so got dud gears or noisey can get mofo' fixed properly rather than deal with the headache

Richo0902

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V8
Yep same issues I have. Mine will be sorted at some point. But like I said I don't want to stink up your thread with my problems. I'd be keen to hear how they sort it out for you though. I imagine there is less that can be done in the tune on a VN compared to VE.
Yr right. VNs were pretty simple in that respect. I think after the timing was set, it was just pretty much fuel and air ratios. That was the fiddly bit.

Richo0902

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V8
You're only going to get improvement with retune in light throttle/low rpm if original tuner either did crap job or never really bothered with drivability just basically dyno-tuned & got car out the door.

You put bigger cam can't expect it to be same as a stocker..pushes everything up in rpm hence shorter diff gears or stally(if auto) is simplest fix.
The latter is clearly the case. Joe never pushes his customers out the door until the jobs done are everyone is satisfied.

Richo0902

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V8
I use Jason @ Gear Exchange Smithfield although Diff Trans moved out to South Windsor I think.

Been told February at earliest is when diff gears/lsd can be done on my vp ute.

Think there might only one brand now....I want the warranty so got dud gears or noisey can get mofo' fixed properly rather than deal with the headache
How much do they normally charge to change the gearing in a diff....

H

harrop.senator

Usually around 2.5 drive in drive out with a tru track and all bearings and seals replaced. $1500 or so if they rebuild your standard lsd.

You'll be hard pressed finding a shop who just wants to do gears. They'll do all bearings and seals while they're at it due to warranting there work.