Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn 304 rebuild

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My M75 was about $900, that was machine and shim cones, bearings and set up gears which I supplied. If you have LSD make sure they use trick full syn oil. The LSDs in the M75 make horrible noises with mineral LSD oil.

Richo0902

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V8
Usually around 2.5 drive in drive out with a tru track and all bearings and seals replaced. $1500 or so if they rebuild your standard lsd.

You'll be hard pressed finding a shop who just wants to do gears. They'll do all bearings and seals while they're at it due to warranting there work.
****. Didn't realise it was so expensive. Looks like I'm having to save again. Wish I knew I needed long pockets when I started to work on the old girl...

Richo0902

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V8
My M75 was about $900, that was machine and shim cones, bearings and set up gears which I supplied. If you have LSD make sure they use trick full syn oil. The LSDs in the M75 make horrible noises with mineral LSD oil.

Don't believe it's an LSD although I know nothing about diffs.

H

harrop.senator

****. Didn't realise it was so expensive. Looks like I'm having to save again. Wish I knew I needed long pockets when I started to work on the old girl...

Golden rules of modifying a car. Calculate what you think it'll cost. Multiple by 3 if you're a betting man , 4 if you're easily heart broken.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Other Golden Rule, build it 3x stronger than you think you will need.... Because chances are you will soon realise you need, or want more power......

Richo0902

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V8
Other Golden Rule, build it 3x stronger than you think you will need.... Because chances are you will soon realise you need, or want more power......

That is so true. You can never have enough power....

H

harrop.senator

Yeah you can haha. I thought that too but I've over modified some cars to be useless on the street before.

Richo0902

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V8
Yeah you can haha. I thought that too but I've over modified some cars to be useless on the street before.

Hmmmm, so as much power as it will allow to be streetable. Harrop.senator makes sense. You want it driveable. What happened with some of your mods.....

H

harrop.senator

4.5k stall , 380 rwhp LS1 wh Caprice I'd set it up for the strip but never made it after a motor pull down and having to cull the collection after a split with the mrs.

It was on a 265 35 18 semi slicks by the end and it kept the power skids to first and second with 3.46's . On 235 potenzas and falkens you had to get off it so it wouldn't go over drive. I think longest one we recorded from just matting it on a country road was 250m .

4.1 diffed 1200 kg r31 with 390 rwhp and 25 psi boost @2500 rpm in fourth if you matted it from 60kms an hour.

Turbo was too responsive unsure on low gears because it happened so quick.

People wanting to abuse you from doing 20 psi 4" lobster bent intake with a foam filter dosing. You'd be on a third throttle changing at 20 , 40 and 60. Sounded like the roid raging Arnold Schwarzenegger of pigeons.

On the street it used to lose to mates struggling for traction who's doors I blew off with 290 and running mid 12's on street tyres. Never took it to the strip with the big HP set up and radials I knew I'd destroy boxes.

Put a nitrous set up on gsxr 750 for a bit that we'd ran tens on. Almost wrote it off on the street on a fourth gear hit when the front wheel shot for the moon at 150-200 KMs an hour.

Had a mate running 11.1 no gas in his l67 VP , put a 200 shot on it and broke loose top of third on a country road with Hoosiers and found the roof three times haha.

The thirst is real until it's either unusable or you thought you were going to die.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Having had several over-powered cars can still say you'll always want to do more to a car whether it be traction,brakes,cooling or power as long as can be driven on streets without overheating or breaking every drive.

That being said my definition of streetable more questionable than most having used lc gtr with bushpig triple webbered 202 as a daily & vh sle 355/f280 4500 stally 4.56 gears as short term daily drivers several times...actual dailies were little less wild yet tons of mods lol.

Rough quote I got was...
$600'ish for 3.7 gears
$400 for lsd centre that's been checked /&or tightened or supply my own.
$60 axle bearings
Couple hundred for labour obviously.

Only going tightened factory lsd in vp housing as might put vl housing in it later on & rather go trutrac + 31 splines with that.