Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN 304 wont Idle. Weird

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I also have a spare memcal, it's a come racing upgrade for a VS manual. i'm not sure if swapping them out would work but would it be worth a try?
I don't know?

@Immortality whats your opinion?

VS tune will be to suit the later 424 style PCM so won't work with the earlier 808 ECU I believe.

One thing that you can try is with the engine at running temp, remove the intake duct so you have access to the throttle body, block off the IAC port on the TB (easiest with a finger) and then adjust the idle with the butterfly screw to achieve the correct idle. Then slowly remove your finger from the IAC port and see how it goes then.

lb9

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VN
Interesting. I'll give that a go tonight

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nope, its a crow 4001 cam, doesn't require retune.

I have a good local guy I go to, he suggested that cam because I dont have to retune it

I don't think that is correct, unless the cam is exactly the same as the factory cam it's going to need to have the tune sorted. Sure it might run OK but what is the point of fitting a cam if you don't make the most of it. Also, if you are upping the compression it will have an effect on the tune, it'll probably not matter much as the factory tune runs **** all timing anyway.

Reactions: Lex

lb9

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VN
I don't think that is correct, unless the cam is exactly the same as the factory cam it's going to need to have the tune sorted. Sure it might run OK but what is the point of fitting a cam if you don't make the most of it.
I'm not sure on the specifics of the tune needed for this cam, but it does say in the crow catalogue that retuning is not required? the cam basically a replacement cam for the 215kw HSV motors, and I am running a HSV memcal so that may have something to do with it. but it does run really well. my old man has a bog stock vs ss series 1 for comparison, and the patrol feels like it has more punch, even with everything being way bigger and heavier. (May just be big car syndrome Aswell haha)

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The only VN with a 215kw tune would be from a GRP A motor which has a totally different intake so the tune won't be quite right.

The HSV 215i motors were only fitted to VR/VS models IIRC and those were factory 5.7liter stroker motors so the tune wouldn't be quite right on a 304 with that cam.

It sounds like that tune has been played with a bit.

Reactions: lb9

lb9

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VN
One thing that you can try is with the engine at running temp, remove the intake duct so you have access to the throttle body, block off the IAC port on the TB (easiest with a finger) and then adjust the idle with the butterfly screw to achieve the correct idle. Then slowly remove your finger from the IAC port and see how it goes then.
Tried this last night, sucked on my finger but idle didn't change. stayed the same when i removed it too. this was when it was idling warm at about 850-ish. I reset the IAC by holding it at 3 grand for 10 seconds, and it died when I let off. got it running again and adjusted the idle both with and without my finger covering the IAC hole and still no change. went to start up this morning and same problem.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds like the IAC isn't working correctly or maybe at all.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Sounds like the IAC isn't working correctly or maybe at all.
I've had problems with cheap ebay IAC valves- they look OK but but just don't work. Used a genuine Delphi IAC valve and the idle system worked perfectly.

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
Immortality is most likely correct about IAC. Go a new one( or see if there are wiring issues) first before you spend money at the tuner. If it's still the same then it could just be a matter of adding a little more timing and or fuel in the idle tables.

Reactions: lb9