Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn 5L engine mounts question

Single peger

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbocharged vg ute, sbc r31 skyline wagon, multip
Trying to find some answers on engine mounts to suit my vn ss, when I brought it it was in a million peices and the engine was held in by 1 engine mount just for transport,

After pulling the car apart and reassembling it and looking at others i found the engine mount bolts to the a/c bracket which im missing, is there a engine mount that bolts directly to the block or do i have to run the a/c bracket for it to work?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Trying to find some answers on engine mounts to suit my vn ss, when I brought it it was in a million peices and the engine was held in by 1 engine mount just for transport,

After pulling the car apart and reassembling it and looking at others i found the engine mount bolts to the a/c bracket which im missing, is there a engine mount that bolts directly to the block or do i have to run the a/c bracket for it to work?
Engine mount brackets bolt directly to the block. On some (not all) models, there is a stay that supports the a/c compressor and is bolted from the side of the compressor to the engine mount. Probably a 25x4x200mm piece of flat bar with a couple of holes and bends in it.

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2

Thought they have the big plate bracket that bolts to front of head for the a/c compressor to bolt on side behind the power steering pump. Also the a/c compressor belt tensioner is on that plate at the bottom front

Single peger

Reaction score
Members Ride
Engine mount brackets bolt directly to the block. On some (not all) models, there is a stay that supports the a/c compressor and is bolted from the side of the compressor to the engine mount. Probably a 25x4x200mm piece of flat bar with a couple of holes and bends in it.
Ill ad some pictures below of what im dealing with, the one with the red arrow is mine and the others are of another vn with that bracket, the red arrow shows how far offset it is without that bracket and the other pictures are of another 5L with the big bracket i seem to be missing

just abit confusing surely theres a bracket or engine mount for cars not running a/c, in saying that looking at the 3.8’s they have the same bracket on the passengers side where the compressor lives if it has a/c

Attachments

• 757C094C-0413-4C7F-8E98-57263649CA27.jpeg
    757C094C-0413-4C7F-8E98-57263649CA27.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 120
  • EEAFDF5E-A5B4-4B76-8AEF-012E34F512EB.jpeg
    EEAFDF5E-A5B4-4B76-8AEF-012E34F512EB.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 124

Single peger

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thought they have the big plate bracket that bolts to front of head for the a/c compressor to bolt on side behind the power steering pump. Also the a/c compressor belt tensioner is on that plate at the bottom front
Sorry yeah you could be right on that one im not to sure im only going off the 2 ive managed to look at that dont have a/c i just assumed it bolted to it

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I believe there were 2 different AC compressor mounting brackets. The most common is the steel monstrosity that bolts onto the front of the head and drops down beside the block (this been the one achoo is referring too), there was also another which combines an engine mounting bracket/AC pump bracket that was cast alloy. I've never seen one in person but would love to get a hold off one.

For the OP, all you need is the standard V8 engine mounting brackets for each side which should look something like this
iu

(random interwebs pic)

Single peger

Reaction score
Members Ride
I believe there were 2 different AC compressor mounting brackets. The most common is the steel monstrosity that bolts onto the front of the head and drops down beside the block (this been the one achoo is referring too), there was also another which combines an engine mounting bracket/AC pump bracket that was cast alloy. I've never seen one in person but would love to get a hold off one.

For the OP, all you need is the standard V8 engine mounting brackets for each side which should look something like this
iu

(random interwebs pic)
Yup those are the brackets ive got and yeah the 2 a/c brackets ive seen are the cast alloy ones.

In my 2 photos the one with the arrow is a engine mount same as in your photo and its offset by quite alot unless you use the a/c bracket, ill go have another gander when i get home and add a couple more photos

Single peger

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thats probably the best photo i can get so those 3 are the bolts that hold that bracket to the block and the engine mount bolts to that further back

Attachments

• 1F439782-883D-4B88-BA28-8A23E4833DC5.jpeg
    1F439782-883D-4B88-BA28-8A23E4833DC5.jpeg
    841.5 KB · Views: 113

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If you aren't using AC than all you need is the steel bracket that bolts in place of the alloy one you have now. Yes there is quiet an offset.

Single peger

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you aren't using AC than all you need is the steel bracket that bolts in place of the alloy one you have now. Yes there is quiet an offset.
Yeah owell i guess the hunt is on then