Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 VN AERO REBUILD (304 stroked to 350ci flat top pistons std 4" bore)

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
The underdog I used is that butyl sticky stuff, the 1 Lex quoted states its foam, not sure if same thing or which would be better but even 10ml rolled down hard might be to high for other things on top to fit easily.
I used underdog behind and under rear seat/back wall and boot, seat was a hard fit with the underdog 3mm. I havent finished the floor yet and might use the 1 Lex showed as a 10ml foam underlay/sound substitute under carpet instead of the underdog.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Seems rarespares has come through, a little late I fixed mine

Yes !!! sorry ! Mine = not supper crap does have some cracks .
Heard Repco has bought out Rare Spares !
The Auto one shop in Newy that did carry stock and supply has now dropped them because =unviable cost wise = dam they were great to deal with and because they are even closer now would have been even better.
Have to go into Repco and see what they say !!!

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
  • Hole Denn , the little reading i have done suggest the Butyl has a better insulating than PE , I agree you will need two different sizes
  • my carpet is in good nick, I was just going to clean off the hemp on backing and place striaght on to the Buytl/foam
  • managed to get all the door seals, door panels and cleaned up all sills with degreaser...**** paint started coming up okay
  • started scrapping off inside of doors to get back to the steel panel
  • managed to find out where the door panels were drilled for the aero door panels, (llomking down from top inside panel)
  • managed to get the front half of exhaust migged up, still waiting for 3" bends to turn up so can finish from 2 into 1 muffler back
  • was looking to use racecraft muffler for tail muffler, 4" dia x 10", as really liked there 2 in/2 out muffler and really wanted to use it, but common sense prevailed and went with flowmaster 2 into 1, so woul like to try there tail muffler
  • https://racecraftaus.com/products/resonator-polished-stainless?variant=39439920726129

Attachments

• 53.jpg
    53.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 82

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Yes !!! sorry ! Mine = not supper crap does have some cracks .
Heard Repco has bought out Rare Spares !
The Auto one shop in Newy that did carry stock and supply has now dropped them because =unviable cost wise = dam they were great to deal with and because they are even closer now would have been even better.
Have to go into Repco and see what they say !!!
seems like a good time to be in spare parts business

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
need to push oneself or its not going to get done, too many distractions otherwise

Picked up a nice silver 2009 Holden VE SV6 for wife a few weeks ago, one owner, 48K on clock, with service books, has 2 faults up, check engine light & stability control, probably paid a little too much for it, but I suppose they dont make them holdens any more and will be nice car for years to come

seems someone unclipped mass airflow sensor just enough so connection wasnt there, or it wasn't put back on properly after its last service at 44K service
good tip always check the easy stuff before tearing everything down

Attachments

• faults.png
    faults.png
    241.8 KB · Views: 72
  • faults.png
    faults.png
    241.8 KB · Views: 63
  • OBD2 read #1.png
    OBD2 read #1.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 60
  • OBD2 read #2.png
    OBD2 read #2.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 55

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
all window regulators check out perfect except for drivers door ...surprise, will need to replace this

Last edited:

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Cut the header 2.25" collector offer back to 50mm from oxygen plug, and then muffler shop up road expanded the pipe out to 2.5" , and then I added V-clamp
managed to get the front part of exhaust system sorted and migged up
wasn't happy with one pipe on LH bank as must of moved when welding, so cut pipe and repositioned it for better clearance
the 3" bends turned up, playing with them tonight and manged to get over the axle and tack in place, adding V-clamp above axle so can remove rear pipes
Need to make decision of muffler, just worrying whether that Racecraft straight through tail muffler will be too loud or not

Attachments

• 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
As long as the rear section is removable you can swap between them :D

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
yes good call
have tacked up the pipe so over axle and straightened alongside fuel tank, will put another V clamp on end
That leaves 500mm to end of car sufficient for muffler and pipe
hopefully get all welded up except drivers header as little messing around to get this out, as need to drop steering box and lift engine on RH side

nearly finished,
Not sure how many times of crawled in/out of the car and underneath this last week
Now I suppose thats the $$ savings when you do it yourself

Last edited: