Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Alpine stereo - serious upgrade - I need feedback please!!

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
So for the parcel shelf:

If I decide to go with 6.5", should I go for splits or just plain?? I realise they're just there for fill, but I want the best sound possible, for my own satisfaction. I'm willing to pay the extra for an excellent quality sound.

Keep those thoughts coming guys, this is great!

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
id just go with 2-way coaxils. seeing its in the parcel shelf theres no real point of splits because even if you move the tweeters around on the parcel shelf the sound will still be coming from the same place.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
OK sure - I was wondering where I'd put the tweeters anyway . . .

By the way, garfa, I'm aware the cabling will cost a fair bit for 2 amps but I'm willing to pay for the right setup . . . this is special to me . . .

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
by the way, we still havent resolved why you want 2 subs?

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Two subs - not sure, I just assumed that since it was a fairly popular option it had some benefit . . .
One Type X 12" would make more sense though - although I think that a double box looks better . . .

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
Ah yes, the age old argument, whether to spend x amount of dollars on one really good sub or x amount of dollars on too not quite as good subs. Just a question, how much you willing to poor into the stereo $$$ wise. Let us know and me and i'm sure others will try and give some more advice too.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
I'm doing the install in stages . . . focused primarily on sound output and quality, and safety of components (i.e. an inbuilt inability to overdrive my speakers, if this is possible . . . ). I'm not going for a custom fibreglass boot setup or anything like that.

Because I'll be doing it in stages, my budget is massive. Several thousand dollars if necessary.

I still haven't decided on a head unit yet. I'm wondering about a DVD touch-screen deck, but I might just focus on audio. As I said, it's undecided at the moment.

Let's go for a budget figure of 7 grand. This will occur over a period of at LEAST 2 years, so I won't be doing the whole thing at once. My first priority is to get some bass going with a sub setup. A good quality one (or 2) that will hold their own in the final system.

Cheers for the help guys, I appreciate it.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
ok you are looking at alpine but have a budget of 7 grand? riiiight....... maybe look at mb quart, dynaudio, focal, dls or nakamichi for the speakers/subs.
for a h/u go with nakamichi.
for amps look at soundstream, mq quart or nakamichi.
also you will want to consider some equilisation and professional tuning with an RTA aswell.
as for an inbuilt inability to over power the drivers in the system thats what the volume knob is there for, no system is idiot proof and so any system can wreaked.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Well as I said, the budget will stretch according to requirements. I don't have a set figure in mind, I'll just keep going in stages until I'm happy with the result.

Volume knob - fair enough . . . I guess it's easy enough to tell when a speaker's being overdriven . . .

Cheers
Sam