Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Boot GAS Lifters (sv5000 etc)

andrewcutter212

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Group A Replica
hey guys i was wondering if any1 has any pictures of the gas boot struts or lifters that hold the boot up in the model VN Sv5000 and above. I am trying to convert my VN Group A replica so it has these.. Can any1 help with pictures or a link etc i have been looking for ages.. I have all the nessicary items that you need eg gas struts made for spoliers and the brackets or hinge points for the gas struts.. I need really detailed information on where i need to drill holes etc... becayse im really stuck and yer...

so please people get back to me ASAP

I have also herd that VR/VS have them still i need heaps of information... Please people help!

Last edited:

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8L S1 VN & Sr20det 180sx
www.walkinshaw.net - Home of the VL SS Group A SV

Thinking on the exact same thing mate, i don't actually know if this will work as i'm pretty sure they say its for vb-vl, not sure if it will work for the vn but i'm thinking so, and that it might be the easiest way, can anyone else verify? i also managed to find a picture of a vl walkinshaw with a boot strut connecting to the arm near where it mounts to the bootlid, and then going back along the boot to connect near the tail lights. not sure which way would be better, debating on if the strut would fully compress or not with the setup i've just stated on the vl walky, and if not would it be an issue. if anyone can give any more information on what i've stated would probably be more help, as myinformation is purely research, not experience.

Shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute
I converted my VN using VR/VS boot struts (I haven't got my car ATM, but here's a set-up from a VQ Caprice)

VQ Caprice boot strut.jpg

Easy to convert too

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
I might have to look into this boot strut thingy.. dam kids let the boot lid fly up and dont hold it :bang:

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
hahaha mr calais, aahhh, you must love that! i'll try suss onto this in the next couple of days, gotta pick up the bottom ball pins for the bonnet struts, so i might get a few extra bits n peices and try mount one up in the boot, if i do anything of the sort and it works successfully, i will post pictures and instructions. Shearer that picture is also very helpfull, Cheers!!

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
was at the wreckers yesterday and there was a few vr/vs sedans that had metal brackets undedr the parcel shelf that had a few spot welds holding them on.. Next time im there i will get a pics or just grab them and use them but my gas tank might be in the way..

andrewcutter212

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Group A Replica
shearer if u can give us pics of how u mounted them in ur VN when you get ya car back can you please put some pics up.. Thanks mate

andrewcutter212

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Group A Replica
all i know is i have tried for months now lol and it still hasnt happened lol bloody hell any1 ?

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
major thread dig i know, but i was searching around, then did a search on boot struts (factory ones..) i was originally wondering something about the struts to be sure it would work, but I worked that out this morning, as soon as i gather some cash i'll give this a go and post any results, but I've got NO idea where I'll mount it :/ I'm thinking to the arm for my boot lid, and either back to the parcel shelf, or possibly somewhere near the wheel arch. No one has any ideas? I'm thinking it will have to be done pretty precisely to make sure it works properly.. :/

One thing that's playing on my mind, is would it be a problem if the strut didn't fully compress? (like sure, it will most likely work..) but long term, will the strut never getting past say half compressed cause damage to the strut itself? (e.g make it weaken quicker?) The only reason I ask is because if it will cause no damage to the strut or anything, I'm fairly certain I can make this work rather easily. :) Thanks heaps guys!

Last edited: