Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN brake upgrade

Shannona

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn sv125
Hi i am wanting to upgrade my breaks on the VN. I was wondering what are the biggest disc i can put on and still use the 16inch wheels and is there a rotor/ disc that will bolt straight on.
Thanks

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Most common upgrade is the VT twin piston caliper set up. It's not a straight forward swap and requires a few bits to set it up. I believe there is a racing caliper set up but it won't be cheap and might be hard to find.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
ve brake conversion be simplest as just front brake kit but you'd have to first find out if your particular wheels will clear calipers otherwise it's vt brake conversion which also requires vt m/cyl + booster etc.

vt brakes will clear 15" chasers...ve brakes smallest is 16" chaser...some other 16's might not fit.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
ve brake conversion be simplest as just front brake kit but you'd have to first find out if your particular wheels will clear calipers otherwise it's vt brake conversion which also requires vt m/cyl + booster etc.

vt brakes will clear 15" chasers...ve brakes smallest is 16" chaser...some other 16's might not fit.

I used to run VT calipers on my VR with standard master cylinder.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Good pedal response & feel obviously....

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Good pedal response & feel obviously....
It was bearable. A couple of my freinds drove my VR and I warned them the brake pedal feels low and it only took them 5mins to get used to it. My accelerator was also tight which was the opposite to my mates car he joked.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I think the factory vs mcyl + booster setup 290mm disc setups work really well when in good working order...they just don't like being hit hard repeatedly.

Vt-y brake conversion is better but really need whole kit..

Had 330mm twin piston setups on lc gtr & vn grp a....worked great but when factor in cost & labour really feel it was more w*nk factor just to fill in the wheels & trying to be different lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Quick and cheap upgrade is braided lines all round and some QFM HPX pads all round on fresh or machined rotors. I have slotted but I wouldn't recommend them, I think mine pulled up better with standard rotors. It's still pretty good over stock brakes but I'm considering going back to standard as slotted's on DD is wank value only IMO, although it might be different with twin piston calipers.

VTZED

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Is the upgrade to the VT twin piston caliper set up good to do if you intend on converting to Ls1 eventually?