Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Calais 5.0 Efi to Carb!?

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
potshots007 said:
carby would be nice, like 750 double pumper or something, but i think you would have to get a pressure regulator or something, and just a 304 manifold to suit 4 barrel carb, not sure about the wiring, id just rip it all out and see if it runs, was thinking about doing this idea as well, but still waiting to get a 304

But why the hell would you?????? EFI kicks the c**p out of carbys.

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN series II custom :) and VZ exec
i know, efi more grunt, but i love the old school carbys, everyone is going to have there own opinion, i just like carbys, especially holleys

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
So why spend the $2000-3000 on a 304 when you can get a 308???????

RobMooar

Reaction score
Members Ride
_
slundy said:
So why spend the $2000-3000 on a 304 when you can get a 308???????
Agreed.. If you are gonna do all that work changing it to a carby, why not get hold of a 308 and trans that someone has already done the work on for you. That highrise and TB setup would look ok, but you would need a bug catcher to really finish it off

blownCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5.0
potshots007 said:
i know, efi more grunt, but i love the old school carbys, everyone is going to have there own opinion, i just like carbys, especially holleys

I feel the same way, i thought post would bring a few opinions to the table.

I have had a Vl 5.0 calais and i seem to like the vn motor alot more. Stock the Vn pulls alot harder ( i think )

Will take some photos now and post more through the build.

Once again thanks guys.:thumbsup:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The VN motor does have alot more power, but half of the reason is the injection :) the other half the heads and manifold (down low)

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
GA5DUP or something like that... from SC few issues back.... he did it, was nuts :p - however recent update in SC records it as being done over for EPA rules, & is now back as an EFI :(

D.

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN series II custom :) and VZ exec
yeah, if its a street car it would be very illegal to run a carby as there is less pollution or some crap, but if it were a drag car or something you could do it, like everyone has said if you really like the filter out the bonnet, just get a high rise manifold, 4 barrel throttle body and a big spacer and it would look alright

blownCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5.0
Done!!!!

Hey guys long time no speaky,

Well thanks for all the feedback on what you all thought of going that way,
i have finished the build for now and we did the summernats without any probs at all, i actually was inumdated with questions about the paint and engine, interior and so forth,

So far we have stroked the powerplant to a 355 with flat top pistons and some minor flow work, we added some nos which gives the old girl a good kick up the ass being a 150hp shot!
We went with a holley 750 dp on a harrop high rise with the nitrous plate bringing it up another inch and a half,

I have painted the car and rather than go for that extreme look i have left it the same Green over silver however i darkened the green slightly and added a hint of glitter,

I had the interior retrimed in tan leather and fitted a beautiful set of BSA 20"s running 245 tyres! thats right with standard struts! try that one boys then come ask me how and i hope you have an hour for me to explain!!!!!
What a headache!!!

Any way let me know what you guys think of the finished product!!!! All opinions would be great tell me what you think!

Attachments

• chad vn.jpg
    chad vn.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 3,383