Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Commodore series 1 fuel tank, can I swap to VP-VS?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I think I used a VS tank in mine. I could be wrong. It was 15-20 years ago now. I was measuring up the VU tank at the time as well, which looked a close fit also.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
VR wagon and VS wagon tanks are very similar from memory as I have removed both before. Have done even more wagon senders and they would be identical.
But 1 last thing to say is that I have not had a VR and VS wagon tank side by side. - I do still have a VS wagon wreck here but the tank is long gone. Can remember if it was sold or went to the scrappy.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
for the sender:
the replacement sender I managed to get from VN possibly V6 tank was same length as the sender I was replacing for VN V8 which has 2 pumps, in tank low pressure, and external high pressure pump.
First time I had a real close look side by side, and you can see the replacement sender which came with high pressure pump (longer pump) length to length sender its same, however the fuel pick for lower pressure V8 pump (rusty sender) has a long fuel pipe
The difference is approx. 30mm. so decided to cut a piece of pipe 30mm long off old sender and tig weld onto replacement pipe, this way I keep same setup as it came with VN V8 senders with twin fuel pumps (in/out of tank)
for my setup I'll splice the pump wires together as was provided on the original VN V8 twin pump setup

Most probably go with bosch 044 fuel pump as I'm in two minds whether to upgrade the engine for another 100hp, and considering we have come this far stuffing around with fuel tank thought I might as well shoot for larger pump now and set and forget so not playing around with another pump latter

anyway its all interesting, these sender are not all straight forward as one thinks

Attachments

• fuel sender comparion.jpg
    fuel sender comparion.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 142
  • fuel sender new and old#1.jpg
    fuel sender new and old#1.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 133
  • fuel sender comparion#1.jpg
    fuel sender comparion#1.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 143

Evan1

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice
Thanks for all the great advice and help, I managed to buy a tank out of a vs wagon, it came with everything, we hooked it up and it worked great. Only problem now is the injectors are all clogged, lol, bit of a clean out and it’ll be working great, cheers.