Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn Converting To RB30 Turbo

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Hey man,

"and take a couple of things out to pass emission"

like what?

and what bits and pieces do you need for the engineer?

Any info would be great :)

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
duuuude i needa know what kinda test it is at the RTA ! they're all too snobby to talk to victorians!

hehehe
if it's an ADR 37/00 test, i'm going for a holiday when i've finished mine.

and let us know what you had to do to pass emissions!!

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
Yeah it's ADR 37/00, all they do is put the car on a dyno and exhaust gas analyser then print you the results and you go to your engineer to see what they say.

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
The exhaust starts are as follows, Hydrocarbons 0.93g/kg, Nitrosoxide 1.93g/kg and CarbonMonoxide 9.1g/kg.
Mine failed big time, it was misfire alot due to the big injectors and a couple of computer settings
I read 9.03 HC, .43 NOx and 69.1 CO, NOx was down because to much fuel causing the other two to skyrocket.
I got the test booked again for April 10 so i got to change the injectors back to standard, change to a hotter thermostat and change the heat reange of the sparkplugs then got it tuned again. and see how i go then.
VP_luke, i suggest putting a standard computer and injectors and emission gear/ manifolds, sensors to get it engineered, because i don't think you will need an emissions test if you do that, then once it's engineered put the aftermarket on with bigger injectors....
Things i took out were boost controller, microtech dash because you could adjust fuel mixtures with it. and i had to plumb back the BOV and plumb the wastegate.
engineers you will need the brakes upgraded to the VL turbo, VN V8 brakes to be satisfactory, i went for the VT twin piston setup. or off ebay theres the big brakes conversion.
Make sure all the factory emissions gear is there like PCV, Charcoal cansiter etc...
thats all i can think of right now, you can call up your local engineer or the one you are going to use and ask anything you are unsure about, i did a couple of times just to make sure, it should be free for general questions over the phone i'd think.
If i think of anymore i'll get them up.

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
Went up to Newcastle last weekend, i went out on saturday night and when i was going home, i wasn't driving, i was too pissed, but my mate was driving my car and i was playing with the computer settings a little to get it to run better.
There was a VT or VX SS, with zorst and lowered and don't know what else, but we were playing along a long straight stretch of road, and we passed him real easy even on half throttle, low boost, untuned, because everytime you went full throttle the computer would play up and cut out so it wasn't going as hard as it was before the emissions tune. So i'm really happy with it so far, i wounder what it could do tuned on hi boost.

tysons_2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais International - RIP VR Turbo
stupid if the same test is free in nsw and 3k in vic

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
i did some speaking to the really helpful dudes at the vic epa.

apparently here to do adr 37/00 testing (through the EPA in Vic), they need to do a full drive cycle, it take a few hours. it's $1200 for the exhaust emissions test for adr 37/00 and a further 1800 + for an 'evaporative emissions' test, which i'm not quite sure what involves, and whether it needs to be done...i'ms tillwaiting for replies.

the thing is, i could get it passed through engineering no sweat, and then mod it, but the only issue is: the amount i've spent on the car is too much to risk it being potentially uninsured when i powerskid my way into a rolls royce by accident.....(for example)... the general gist is; i'd like it 94% legal, as it is..after epa (crank boost + change tune = weapon... and noone is the wiser)

so my theory was;

- use bigger turbo @ standard boost
- reprogram standard ecu to cater for bigger injectors (but with almost standard tune)
- aftermarket plenum with all emissions control fittings
- standard head/cam
- pray

Last edited:

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
Yeah with the standard computer you should need an emissions test, the only reason i need one was because i'm running an aftermarket computer.

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
Just a little update.
Got a second hand box which i'm going to rebuild tomorrow, just the bearings so far because the guy i brought it off said thats all thats wrong with it, but i will look at the syncro's and shafts etc... When i have it apart.
I was originally rebuild it and replace everything but i can't find anyone who does stronger components for a non-turbo 5 speed so there's no point rebuilding it back to standard if it still shifts alright i'll just see how it goes. the one i got in it now seem's to be alroght just has noisy bearings, which i will replace aswell once it's out so i have a spare sitting there.
Got my clutch kit aswell, an excedy sports tuff, don't know how they are but i will see how it goes with the power. Mine slip's under boost.
Got the flywheel machined and ready to go so once this box is built i can run my car into the workshop and it will be as simple as box, cluthc and flywheel out and new ones in.
I also got my old standard injectors reconditioned which are going in next weekend and then getting tuned for emissions again. also hotter plugs and hotter thermostat and i need a O2 sensor fitting near the turbo for a more accurate tune.
Then engineers and register.
Hopefully it will pass this time or its another tune with a 5 gas exhaust analyser and more money.