Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn diff(disc to disc) into vl

S

Steve-0

not too sure how to shorten the axle or how wide the rims ya can run but i'd be guessen u could have somthen decent, at least 7" (not sure about 8" inch) with 225's would be my guess.

ucwepn-it would be alot easier just to swap the diffs around unless youre thinking about running 255's or somthen like that which is definetly gonna be too big for the diff

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
I've got 18x8 with 235's and I want to lower it soon, ummm still investigating the options.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
18s wont fit if you put the VN diff in (unless you shorten the axles like mentioned). VN Diff will bolt in, and if running normal rims (like stockies) it wont have a drama.

Also check with your transport authority as to how much you can increase your wheel track, as it might be illegal to go that amount. Especially because its so obvious that its wider.

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
but how do you shorten the axel???

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Haha Flared guards aye LOL nah but that would be interesting. Does all the brake gear from a vn diff fit onto a VL drum diff? are the master cylinders/boosters the same?

H

hsvhel

hey man, i just did the conversion and whilst most of it is a straight swap, you need disk bearing collars, which are bigger than drums by about 3mm, it doesnt seem like alot but its essential, and the brake line join where the fixed hoses bolt to the flexi on the main supply, it might pay to check the threads as theyre 4 different tapping holes and it can get a bit fidley, in the end i used the drum ones, same length and everything, any questions pm me.
Cheers
Rhys

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Cheers mate thats good news. I'll no doubt be in touch lol coz I'm hopeless with brakes and stuff, I'll buy all the bits and hand it over to a shop to fit.

P

Pistol

what about the LSDiff? do the vns have them, and can they also be transplanted or would you have the change the whole thing??

S

Steve-0

i think ya gotta stick to the V6 diff so if ya can find a VN V6 LSD then yeah. i think the easiest way would be just to get a VL turbo diff, costs a bit more but ya have LSD, 3:45 ratio, disc brakes and ya can run any rim size

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
There are thousands of vl's around my area and they always beat me to the best parts LOL I have had it confirmed by a mate that all the vn brake gear will bolt straight to a drum diff on a vl. And also the fact that I haven't seen a vl turbo diff or any vl disc diffs for sale for less than $700 helps my decision