Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Buick] VN Engine Modifications

Whiteford88

38PONT
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman 5.7L
And by the sounds of it seeming as you're already at the 15k mark and still haven't completed it I don't think I will go down that path, as everyone has been mentioning you can get a lot more power for the same amount of cash out of the LS 5.7L but at the same time if I can manage to find the site with the 4.2/4.4L stroker kit for around the 2.5k mark I'll throw that in it anyway and give it a bit of an extra punch on the highway, although I feel if I put a stroker kit in I'm going to start breaking internals and it will just be a constant money drain because I'd be focusing all my effort into the 8cyl.

YURNXT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cortina
I bought a come stroker kit.
Diamond pistons,
H beam rods,
Steel crank,
Bearings and rings.

That's actually a good price think there abit more then that?

Nah I haven't driven the new motor just had a stock motor which made 285rwkw on e85 with a garrett 35/40.

Ran 11.6 before I drove it on the street and let a rod go through the block. Still lasted a good 8 months Daily driving it aswell.

Either way you go turbo is the best feeling you will get, driving @ 100km and turning tyres is something fun :)

Whiteford88

38PONT
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman 5.7L
I'm guessing considering the price you are including labor for all the parts?

I know, I've driven both (between you and I ;) ) and Turbos just bring a warm fuzzy feeling with them, you know the car is about to lose its S***.
I just constantly read people commenting 'get a sc it's more bang for your buck' and 'that engine is better designed to suit a supercharger'. Wateva, wateva, I du what I want.

YURNXT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cortina
Nah mate do everything myself, apart from manifolds and pipe work they got made up and dummied up but I finnished the fitting.

Labour would be double ;) then I really woulda went an LSX block to begin with.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Hmmmmmm i've never heard amazing things about the stroker kits. Just can't seem to justify the money. I remember this one guy like 6 months ago who had a nitrous setup on his stock ecotec. Made like 200rwkw so thats worth a look.

Jack_vs_BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs BT1
Simple addition shows us that the stroker juts only add 400 mls to the capacity of the motor which is good news but the stroke (hence the name) is also increased which makes them hate high rpms even more a mate of mine had one running 220 rwkw N/A and threw an eagle I beam rod out of the block bang for buck they aren't very good given that the cost around 4 grand, now is when all the stroker owners appear out of the blue and stab me in the throat, this is my opinion 4 grand spent on a 3.8 would be my choice