Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN mini spool in daily driver?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
i looked into getting a locker for mine when i broke my LSD but got talked out of it and was told that the kaaz LSD's are they way to go.

They are, as long as you don't plan on doing any donuts.

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
why is that stealthy. i have the kaaz in my car now. it locks 2 without a problem but i rarely do donuts. any problems with them that you have heard of

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
why is that stealthy. i have the kaaz in my car now. it locks 2 without a problem but i rarely do donuts. any problems with them that you have heard of

Only heard of (but from most people who have owned them) that they really don't like donuts, at all. Greatest thing if its just drags, straight line stuff, but as soon as you loop, thats the end of it. Main reason i chose against one, i want something that can do loops, and day of the week :)

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
i have found with the small amount of circle work that i have done with it is that it feels like what my car did when i had the spool in it. the donuts are real tight. i think it handles them quite well. and considering that they use kaaz diff's in the drift cars they should be able to handle a fair amount of torture. one thing i did get told from the guy who installed it for me was that with any LSD be standard or a kaaz or any other brand is that you should get the wheels spinning first and then flick the car round. it doesn't put as much of a load on the diff apperantly that way because the diff sends equal amount of force to both wheels. do you know people that have both lockers and kaaz diff's in cars that you could take for a drive and experience yourself

hsv_timo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
There is a guy around the corner of my work that has a mini spool in his vn you can hear him coming from a mile away through the indstial estate every corner sqealing and carrying on. The crapped out old vn v6 wouldnt have the guts to turn both wheels anyway.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
i have found with the small amount of circle work that i have done with it is that it feels like what my car did when i had the spool in it. the donuts are real tight. i think it handles them quite well. and considering that they use kaaz diff's in the drift cars they should be able to handle a fair amount of torture. one thing i did get told from the guy who installed it for me was that with any LSD be standard or a kaaz or any other brand is that you should get the wheels spinning first and then flick the car round. it doesn't put as much of a load on the diff apperantly that way because the diff sends equal amount of force to both wheels. do you know people that have both lockers and kaaz diff's in cars that you could take for a drive and experience yourself

Just what i've heard about the donuts. But it was enough for me to decide against it (more so for the fact its not locked, meaning there every chance it will wear out becoming an open wheeler again)

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
they can wear out but all you have to do is buy new clutch packs and your set. if you go a locker(correct me if im wrong. your talking about a Detroit locker) they to can wear out but from what i was told are more expensive to fix. the reason i went away from selecting a Detroit true trac diff for my car was the guy told me that they can engage both wheels unpredictably when going round corners which could get a bit hectic if your not prepared for it.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
they can wear out but all you have to do is buy new clutch packs and your set. if you go a locker(correct me if im wrong. your talking about a Detroit locker) they to can wear out but from what i was told are more expensive to fix. the reason i went away from selecting a Detroit true trac diff for my car was the guy told me that they can engage both wheels unpredictably when going round corners which could get a bit hectic if your not prepared for it.

Something i havn't had to do for 4 years, and wont have to for another 4 years ;) Hence the spool was for me ;)

Also, most people refer to 'locker' as any type of locked diff, spools, welded etc. rarely as a detroit locker. Lokka is different again, and a specific brand :)

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
as long as i keep the oil fresh in my diff i shouldn't have to change the clutch packs for many many years. But i can see where your coming from with the spool too. That's why i had one also. The thing cost me $80 and that included freight and they are maintenance free. They are heaps better than the standard LSD that comes in the commodores.