Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn Or Vy !!!

VY or VN

• Total voters

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
My advice is look at other models.

Dont buy spend all that money and buy an exec. Buy something thats going to make you happy. My biggest regret is not buying a VN SS instead of a V6 VN Berlina. My second biggest regret is then buying a VS Exec as a daily instead of a VS Calais.

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
I would go with the VN for a frist car, he can flog it round n get to know tha car how they handle yadda yadda, where as if u got a VY u would want to play very easy as that woul be alot of doh lost if u smashed it.

I would go with a older car as a first car, use that for a few yrs get ya driving skillls together and wat not then go out n buy the new car.

No point buyin a expensive car as a first then crashing it as u didnt know how to handle the situation correctly.

If u smashed the VY thats 15g or so gone.
if u smashed the VN that wat 3g max

Thats how i would go about it if it were my choice, i would rather a cheap car that could get smashed than loose 15g on a newer modle.

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
My mate just grabbed an ex undercover cop car, VZ exec with 4 power windows, side airbags, very clean and tidy, paid i think 16k at the auctions for it. He did well to get it, i wouldnt consider the VN when your looking at something so new. If your looking older, find yourself a nice yank tank or something to cruise in

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Save a little bit more and go for the VY, you may be able to find a good VN for a lot cheaper but lets face it. Its an old car, its going to have problems. Atleast with a VY its quite new and hasnt been through the amount of wear and tear.

But on the other hand youre going to be paying through the nose for insurance...

Mr_Slim

Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais Manual
mate go in the middle. get a VS / VT Calais. I have a VP and had a VN. (1st / 2nd car) They do go very well for a first car, and despite what people say, they don't give you much trouble, unless you drive them hard or they've had a hard life. Occasionally you will have issues (i just blew the headgasket) but that can happen to any car.

In 2 years, i have bought the VN and the VP, excluding the headgasket and my mods and just general 10,000km service, i'm looking at about $600-$1000 in actual repairs or replacement parts. everything still goes pretty well on them.

in saying that though, my dad has a VS, and while my VP is faster and cheaper, had i had my time over, and a few extra $$$ i would outlay and get the VS calais. this will give you probably more features than a VY exec / acclaim, and will be 1/3 the price (if you want auto - $5K). the engine is exactly the same Ecotec (3.8L roughly 150kw +/- a few) and the transmission is the same too. The VS is lighter i believe, so in theory it should be about the same speed, if not quicker.

For a first car, my preference would be the VP (don't go with the VN - a bit too old in my opinion) but if you want newer, get the VS. Don't buy the VY - waste of money

YMY-88U

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VH SL/E
im with vk_308, go for a vt calais, will probably be around the same price as the vy but will have more features, and will more then likely get more money in the future for resale, which is why getting a executive in a newish car is prob a bad choice IMO, just spend the little extra and go for the calais

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
VY, why buy something that is going on 15 years or more old?

you'll be up for money $$$$$ eventually. spend the extra on a vy, why buy a 2GB ipod nano for 240 when you can get a 30GB ipod video for a bit over 100 more... same thing.

newer model, lower km's etc etc, spend the extra.
save the cash, wait it out.