Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn S1 manual backfires on gas constantly

DavoVP

Reaction score
not realy true, i have a vp manual, doesnt back fire when i change gears................ infact it never has, its only backfired on start up, and the odd occasion when im realy loading it up ;) but thats only if i feather the accelerator hehe

i did go through a stage where itd backfire if you didnt take off like a grany then when it was over 1.5k u could flog it floor it abuse it, no worries, a good tune saughted that out quickly.

crazywog

XR6 TURBO KING
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 TURBO she needs a tissue achoo
id say try strong hoze clampz on ur pod filter , if not take air box and pod filter of and get a good hose clamp and stick a stocking over the end, guarenteed this wont backfire and wont let dirt/bugs of the kind in :) trust me mymate had the same problem with his and fixed it with that exact procedure. try that and let me knw how u go thnx mate

Phat VN

Fangin calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 92
stocking

mate that is a really good idea y didn i think of that ( maximum air going in) MEANS MORE POWER hahahah i will do that tonight catcha

andyli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executives
You answered your own question in the title.

Gas = backfires!

Just ditch the gas, and use petrol!

you are right. the mixed convertion of gas got lots of backfire, they say the injection one is the one to go, but once again, too expensive. but there are more and more car with the samll lpg tag. 4.4 each for the spark plugs and 55 for the lead, then the coil pack, normally 50 for the set, but you have to look carefully to get a good one. that are the things to check first, as they say.

Phat VN

Fangin calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 92
hey evry 1 i bout new leads 8mm bosch performance $55 and new plugs came with the car NGK and new filter. it has only backfired once and that was this morning but runs heaps better buying a new memcal chip soon so that = more power and yeh thanks heaps u guys

Phat VN

Fangin calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 92
guess wat guess wat guess wat car doesnt backfire ALSO get this did a stand still got it into here we go 5th gear i was quiet proud but it eventually died and it was a bit wet not bad ayyy

W84N01

Reaction score
Website
www.southwestcommodoreconnection.com
Members Ride
VN manual, VC 5L Auto, 80series GXL 4WD :)
My VN V6 is on straight gas, and i have hardly a problem with her. She starts backfiring when i need a service, and that's it. Only other time is if it builds up due to my not changing gears to revs, otherwise it's fine and she goes great.

Definately leads and spark plugs mate, makes a world of difference :)

shnap2nd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BERLINA MANUAL
My VN V6 is on straight gas, and i have hardly a problem with her. She starts backfiring when i need a service, and that's it. Only other time is if it builds up due to my not changing gears to revs, otherwise it's fine and she goes great.

Definately leads and spark plugs mate, makes a world of difference :)

hey sorry to break up the party but ive been told by a gas fitter that it is not recommended that to run lpg on vn v6 t5 coz its something to do with the ecu that they dont like it and they backfire like crazy he said he once fitted one and it blew a HEADLIGHT!!!! not sure if this is true or not u stil having problems??? coz if not i wouldnt mind running mine on lpg.. also what sort of kms do u get from a normal tank??

defecat0r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 2, v6 5-speed, LPG
hey sorry to break up the party but ive been told by a gas fitter that it is not recommended that to run lpg on vn v6 t5 coz its something to do with the ecu that they dont like it and they backfire like crazy he said he once fitted one and it blew a HEADLIGHT!!!! not sure if this is true or not u stil having problems??? coz if not i wouldnt mind running mine on lpg.. also what sort of kms do u get from a normal tank??

I've had LPG on my '91 series 2 vn v6 with the 5 speed for about 4 years now. It ran great for 6 months.... then it started with the backfiring. The next 2 years i just learned to live with it. Changed the plugs multiple times, 2 sets of brand new coil packs, new leads, but nothing really helped. It got real touchy and would go BOOM whenever i'd accelerate hard, had to drive it like an old woman, babying it everywhere. I experimented with lots of ways (flaps, plugs, caps, bits of icecream container(bad stuffed happened with that)) to try to get past the whole exploding airbox thing, but the best method on that front was to modify the L-shaped pipe that goes from the throttle body to the airbox. I put a Y-piece of drain pipe in line with that, with one end of the Y going to the airbox, and the other end of the Y with a plastic bag rubber-banded over it. That way when it backfires, it's got the tiny resistance of the plastic bag to blow off, and not the airbox.

Anyway, i eventually found the source of the problem, it WAS as everybody had said all along: poor ignition. The "DFI module" the block that the coils sit down onto had corrosion on the terminals. I cleaned the terminals up and BOOM problem solved!
It does start backfiring again every 6 months or so, so i just unbolt the coil packs, and hit those terminals with a wire brush on the end of my cordless drill, spray some contact cleaner in the coil pack hole things, and put it all back together. It's a 15 minute job that keeps it going again for another 6 months. And my Y-piece of drainpipe, plastic bag and hair-tie(they don't deteriorate like rubber bands) save the airbox when it does inevitably start backfiring again.

It's bogan as, but hey, it's a good conversation piece when you have to pop the bonet ^_^ hahaha

My gas guy told me it wasn't a good idea either, especially considering it had 300 on the clock (425 now), but my whole experience with gas has been good, i would do it again in a heart beat. the amount of money it has saved me ......
Its been years but i remember i used to get 600km to a tank of petrol, 55L when filling up. It was then 520-550 with similar driving on LPG with 57-60 litres or so of LPG going in.

I've got pics of my dodgey setup around somewhere but can't find atm, can take another photo if you're interested :)

Peace

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
I think the guts of the problem is the wasted spark ignition. At low revs the spark in the working cylinder fires fairly close to TDC. The matching cylinder coming off the other end of the same coil fires too, at nearly the top of the exhaust stroke. But guess what? Because of valve overlap the inlet valve of that cylinder might be open a little bit too, and if any gas + air has come into the cylinder and you give it a [waste] spark then the flame travels out the open inlet valve and all the way back to the airbox :-0 It is not a problem with petrol because they can time the injection to occur when the piston is way past TDC and so petrol appears =after= the spark has gone out so no fireworks. That's my theory.