Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN strut tops

328FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Long time no post. Guess that's a good thing, anyway took my car for a warrant, heaps of electrical demons I overcame and it all seemed in tip top shape specially with the nolathane bushings etc. Fixed the usual boot rust on the frame and in the spare wheel area. Everything looked tops, you could even say I was proud.

Cept when they jacked it up then dropped it down and looked at the pillow mounts they flexed, they flexed a lot. Have a warrant cause it's my uncles shop and he knows I'll fix it so I better you know, fix it. I dunno how much they flex standard but prolly not this much, they look flogged anyway and it has done heaps of k's.

Who retails new strut top/pillow mounts? I know I'm in NZ but plenty of companys happily post here if the aussie sources are better priced after exchange. Adjustable, nolathane or whatever it's all fine. Maybe a site sponsor? Someone dropped the name Nolathane Evolution's. Nolathane ones seem from what I read to raise the car a bit though :/ I would settle for a straight replacement set but adjustables would be nice. Have no real clue of options or prices, I'd rather not be dealing with this, I'm over my head with work for a huge honda build for my racecar and have money strung right out on it so yeah. Possibly unneeded rant but the point is VN strut mounts needed, what are my options, who are good retailers and do the ones out of VL, VS etc or anything else interchange in case I find some listed for something else.

Teletran1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Calais
Nolathane Evolutions are THE best strut tops for a street driven commodore. Fully adjustable, and have a urathane insert around spherical bearing to help absorb shock and not rattle bearing to pieces. They are around the $600 mark retail over here, shop around. If you want I will post a pic tonight and supply part number if you cant find them.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
*double post*

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
VB to VP strut tops are interchangeable, alot of the suspension is interchangeable from 1978-1993.
main difference in a vn onwards is the front sway bar link pins are longer and mount to the strut instead of the lower control arm.
Vr onwards strut tops are not compatible.

328FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Mmmmmk. Monday I'll go out and ask BNT cause they are having a sale on stuff and one was strut tops. These things are fracking expensive for what seems fairly simple.

Teletran1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Calais
Nolathane 44600 is what I use and suggested. Cant take photo atm, cant find camera!
Where in NZ are you?
Autolign in P.N. can supply a pair of NOS Noltec solid pillow ball adjustable strut tops for ~$575 inc.
Tracked them down for a mate a couple of months ago, most people **** when they see the price, unfortunately still cheaper than importing them...

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
the wilkinson performace ones from perth are good.

328FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Nolathane 44600 is what I use and suggested. Cant take photo atm, cant find camera!
Where in NZ are you?
Autolign in P.N. can supply a pair of NOS Noltec solid pillow ball adjustable strut tops for ~$575 inc.
Tracked them down for a mate a couple of months ago, most people **** when they see the price, unfortunately still cheaper than importing them...

Pukekohe, I use the commie to tow the racecars. I'd make some if it was legal, just a solid set using wide/good side thrust rated rosejoint type things and a milling machine to make plates. Sure it would be harsh and solid but the car is already harsh. Plus the spherical joint tops look awesome, I have them on my honda with tein adjustables, rides like ass but corners like mad.

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
Pedders spherical bearing tops are under $300, the nolothane crap splits and doesn't last.

Teletran1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Calais
Mate thats rubbish it doesnt last. My evolutions in the V8 are still like new (literally) 3 years on since they were fitted, the 'standard' nolathane adjustable tops I have been running in the V6 shitter for a good 8 years have most definitely sagged as they do, I wont argue that, but absolutely no signs of failing. Both cars are lowered with stiff shocks, big front bars and full urethane bushings aswel, so they do get a reasonably hard time.
Im not having a go, but in my experience playing with the boats, as long as your springs arnt too hard and you have reasonable travel, they do last bloody well compared to stock rubber jobbies.

Attachments

• 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 966
  • 047.JPG
    047.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,570
  • 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,191
  • 049.JPG
    049.JPG