Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN v6 into VP v6

richrever

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2 V6 5,Speed Ute
Hi people. I have 2 questions. Will a VN v6 with a manual crank bolt up to a VP v6 auto trans ? And if so is it just a matter of swapping the VN intake manifold with the VP manifold to take care of the coolant plumbing? I know its a backward step but that is what is available for the money I have to get my old girl back on the road. Any advice appreciated. Richrever01.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
If its a series 1 VN Motor your talking about i don't think you can marry a Manual crank to an auto Box.
If it's a S 11 VN i think the manual & auto cranks are the same,someone on here will know for sure.
Do a Google there was a Thread about exactly that on one of the Holden Forums back in the early 2000's.
As far as the manifolds go you don't have have to change anything,S 1 into VP or VP into S 1,you just have to use a radiator with cap and a overflow bottle and the corresponding top radiator hose.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Save yourself the hassle & wait for series 2 auto engine so it's straight swap over.

A few annoying differences + mirror balance for flexplate if can find one for series 1 junk.

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
The vp intake manifold will not fit the vn series one motor as there is a hole about 20mm in diameter in each head at the back of the head that match up to the same holes in the manifold
I know when i had to replace the heads on my vp i couldn't get any and finally got a set of series I heads which had to have the hole machined into each head so the manifold would fit and work as it should.
let me tell you that was an expensive little problem.

richrever

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2 V6 5,Speed Ute
If its a series 1 VN Motor your talking about i don't think you can marry a Manual crank to an auto Box.
If it's a S 11 VN i think the manual & auto cranks are the same,someone on here will know for sure.
Do a Google there was a Thread about exactly that on one of the Holden Forums back in the early 2000's.
As far as the manifolds go you don't have have to change anything,S 1 into VP or VP into S 1,you just have to use a radiator with cap and a overflow bottle and the corresponding top radiator hose.
Thanks harry yes its a series 1.and I believe that you are right I just needed that confirmed. OK it's going to be a bit longer without wheels.thanks for the reply Harry.