Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn v8 auto will not shift past 2nd gear

cubic inches

Reaction score
Members Ride
vxss vnss
my vn 5 litre auto will change 1,2 gear alright,but will not change into 3rd and 4th gear at all.does anybody know what could be causing problem or any suggestions on how to fix this problem.any input would be appreciated thanks cubic inches.

NEDWOB

Reaction score
Website
ozwagons.iforums.us
Members Ride
VN WAGON
i just had the same problem. i adjusted the kick down cable on the throtle body.

cubic inches

Reaction score
Members Ride
vxss vnss
meanvn do u know what caused ur problem.this is my nephews car and he was giving the car a bit of hidding when the problem started,will chave a look at the kick down cable.cheers

NEDWOB

Reaction score
Website
ozwagons.iforums.us
Members Ride
VN WAGON
the adjusters on the kick down cable might be abit worn so when the pedal is pushed down fast and the cable may pull hard when it tries to kick back then may slip out a few nothches

Eliminator

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maranello red Vn V8 Calais
Does it try and go into 3rd gear and free revs? If it does then your clutch packs need replacing.

If it revs out 2nd gear and doesnt want to go out of 2nd at all then it is a kickdown problem.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
If the throttle valve cable is adjusted and not slipping I would suggest also:

A sticking throttle valve - the valve consists of two parts, the first part is moved by a cam that is attached directly to the TV cable. This part can't stick, except in the pushed in position but the second part is moved by a spring between it and the first part. This can stick.

A sticking 2-3 shift valve.

A sticking governor. Usually this will also affect the 1-2 change quality.

All would be considered valve body faults.

hemi01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2 V6 Berlina
I've just replaced my auto which displayed a similar fault to yours.

I pulled the pan and found heaps of metal 'dust' through the ATF. There was also a broken shim/washer on the magnet. The auto had developed a loud whine and hung on to 1st before slamming into 2nd. Then reluctant to shift into 3rd, and no 4th of TC lockup.

Obviously crapped itself and beyond a rebuild by me.

I would suggest that if no kick down adjustments work then drop the pan and inspect.