Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn V8 sump removal question

fatty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute
I have tried to search the forums without much luck I am after a definate answer as to wether or not I can just jack the engine up and chock it, to remove the sump as I need to check my oil pick up and replace or clean it......I don't have a hoist or crane so was hoping to do it engine in
Cheers for any help

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Im guessing you would chock the engine mounts?
May ne able to work but it will be a tight squeeze?
Havent got a mate with an engine crane at all?

fatty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute
Was going to undo the mounts stick wood under them to chock it try that way ... Don't know anyone with a crane .... I don't really want to drop the k frame but will if I really have too, my old one is a little bent and have a straight one so.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Due to the length of the oil pickup it will be near impossible to slide the sump out from in the engine bay.

The engine really has to come out or you will have to drop the kframe.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
you can do it by chocking up the engine on the mounts, but it's still a prick of a job getting the sump clear of the pickup. Particularly difficult when you are trying to refit the sump whilst trying to keep the sump gasket in place....

I've always found dropping the k-frame is an easier option. You don't need an engine crane, a jack under the gear box will support the engine. I've done it this way plenty of times with no dramas.

fatty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute
Ok sweet thanks for the replies .... How easy or long will it take if I drop or remove the k frame???

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
first time, probably 1-2hrs. I used to get them out in less than half an hour when I was doing them regularly on a hoist with a rattle gun. It's not really a huge job as it looks

disconnect battery
pull the centre engine mount bolts out
take out the lower control arm pivot bolts and drop lever the control arms out of the k-frame (leave connected to ball joints)
take the rack to k-frame bolts out and lever the rack out of the k-frame (leave tie rods and pinion connected) just push the rack out of the way
4 nuts hold the k-frame to the chassis rails. I think there is also a power steer line bracket screwed to the r/h/s of the k-frame
Jack under the gearbox, take the weight off the k-frame
drop the k-frame

fatty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute
cheers for your help guys took a few hours as I did it over 2 days getting gaskets etc I had forgotten, so I cleaned silicone out of the pick up replaced all gaskets etc packed the oil pump with grease cranked and started the car but stil no oil pressure . I am a bit stuck with what to do I did pull the oil pump apart clean it etc it all looked ok . what can I do next any suggestions as what could be stopping the oil pumping

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
did u have oil pressure prior to sump removal??

you want to pack the pump with vaso not grease.....vaso dissolve into the oil better