Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil sump removal

Commy_fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 1998
The sump sticks to the block tightly. I have seen a guy using an axe to whack the sump off the block but the engine is off the car and on the ground. My engine is on the crane rather. Do I need to use a thin blade, such as stanely knife or putty blade, to break the seal? The space is restricted and the mounts are in the way. I am not sure this is the only way to remove the sump in my situation. Can anyone help?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Is the engine out of the car?

Undo all the bolts but leave one in each corner a few turns and then give it a good tap with a soft faced hammer and it should come free.

Commy_fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 1998
Thanks for the response Immortality. the engine is not out but hanged by a crane. I have managed to drop the k frame. I have noticed the space where the last three bolts located are very hard to get to, and is obstructed by the starter cable. Looks like I need to remove the starter and it's cable to free up some space. As you have said once all bolts are out, the sump should be come out quite easily. Maybe just need a few taps.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No need to apologise, you found the issue.