Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN wont start

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
Never thought of that. I'll check the thermostat and the computer again this afternoon. Thanks guys for the help!

electro cruiser

Reaction score
O2 sensor Temp sensor Thermostat stuck open. My wagon has had most things replaced and now returns between 10.5 and 12 city driving and around 8 L/100 open road. So they can be fixed to get much better economy.[/QUOTE said:
I was getting around 300kms a tank, same 63 litre tank, 3.8L V6.
I replaced the o2 sensor and thermostat.
i was clearing 500kms freeway with 30 mins of traffic.

thermostat is a bit of a ball breaker because your induction pipe and throttle body and i think the inlet manifold hav to come off to get it because its up agains the fire wall. hope that helps!

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
I was getting around 300kms a tank, same 63 litre tank, 3.8L V6.
I replaced the o2 sensor and thermostat.
i was clearing 500kms freeway with 30 mins of traffic.

thermostat is a bit of a ball breaker because your induction pipe and throttle body and i think the inlet manifold hav to come off to get it because its up agains the fire wall. hope that helps!

Update:
Checked thermostat and its fine. Im hoping my fuel gauge is just wrong. It has been playing up quite abit lately since Ive been running the car. Just waiting on a IAC valve from a Holden dealer at the moment. Should get it next week Thursday (when I get paid and can afford it). Got it for $86 which I thought was reasonable coming from a dealership. Will keep you all updated on how it goes. Thanks everyone for the help!

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Just looked at your car - its a wagon - yes?

If so you have a 68 Lt tank. How many lts are you getting in it at fill up time?

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
Just looked at your car - its a wagon - yes?

If so you have a 68 Lt tank. How many lts are you getting in it at fill up time?

Yes its a wagon. Cant say for sure cause I put different amounts of fuel in at different times so I never filled it up in one hit. I definetly know I filled it though cause I accidentally overfilled it past the 'click' on the fuel pump just to make sure it was full. I reset the odometer at the same time I filled it so I could calculate the kilometres. At the moment its at 279 with abit of fuel left in the tank according to the gauge. It could be wrong though

2001_VXSS

keepin' it real
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina Series II
so you have done 279 to a full tank? by the sounds of that it sounds like your fuel gauge is out.
hope that helps

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
Yeah, doesnt sound right aye. I'll have to fill it up and see how much I get in it. But until I get it running and down to the Servo, thats not going to happen. Will be able to check next week though when I get the new IAC valve in and hopefully resuscitate the old girl back to good working order again

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes its a wagon. Cant say for sure cause I put different amounts of fuel in at different times so I never filled it up in one hit. I definetly know I filled it though cause I accidentally overfilled it past the 'click' on the fuel pump just to make sure it was full. I reset the odometer at the same time I filled it so I could calculate the kilometres. At the moment its at 279 with abit of fuel left in the tank according to the gauge. It could be wrong though

Check the connector to the sender on the tank. If it is corroded it will not give the correct voltage and read low on the gauge.

Dose the guage go all the way or passed the full mark when you fill it up?

My wagon goes way passed full and does about 120kms before it moves to the full mark.

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
Check the connector to the sender on the tank. If it is corroded it will not give the correct voltage and read low on the gauge.

Dose the guage go all the way or passed the full mark when you fill it up?

My wagon goes way passed full and does about 120kms before it moves to the full mark.

Okay. Will check that. When I filled it it did go past the full mark. What it would do is the needle would wonder from empty too full when I was driving and then stay around a certain mark for awhile and then start wondering again and so on. Would that indicate a bad voltage?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay. Will check that. When I filled it it did go past the full mark. What it would do is the needle would wonder from empty too full when I was driving and then stay around a certain mark for awhile and then start wondering again and so on. Would that indicate a bad voltage?

Hmmm pointing that way I'm thinking. It has been said on this forum not long ago that they gained 1/2 a tank by putting a new connector on.

A good clean with some 240 sand paper or small file + a squirt of CRC may just do the trick.