Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp calais garnish

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
i finished everything with an abralon pad 1000 grit wet. but i used 2k paints too, not acrylic 1k, meaning my clearcoats had hardener in them. also before basecoat or clear, the plastic garnish and taillights got a coat of clear plastic primer. if you dont use this everything will come off at the car wash...

heres the pad (below pic) , alliteratively you can use a gray scotch brite pad, or 800 or 1000 sand paper wet.

MirkaAbralon2.jpg

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
i made a custom mix to match the 10mm orange stick on moldings that run through the bumpers and door strips. its like an ss orange. you can use what ever color you like, anything that ties in with any other colors on the car. body color is probably the easiest route.

VP-57-TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive series 2
mine wasnt faded but i was thinking about what to do with a faded one. id love to try a red urethane candy over it then clearcoat. rub it back again paint the stripes and adn more clear...

im not a fan of that colored look on the garnish, it would draw the eye vertical and instead of horizontal. all of the lines around the car draw you eye horizontal making the car look lower and longer.

i painted these one for my car, i wonder if the same process would work but with a couple of candy urethane coats to bring the red back to your faded one. used plastic primer before any tops coats of color or clear.

2013-02-07082035_zps9bca9a78.jpg

IMG_3822_zps95527396.jpg

So with your garnish you just sanded it back and cleared it again?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
So with your garnish you just sanded it back and cleared it again?

yup, finished the plastic with 1000 grit. also i laid down a semi wet coat of a clear plastic adhesion primer so the 2k clearcoat sticks. those red stripes i did the same way, only plastic primer, red basecoat color then clear. let cure, unmask and rub the whole taillight with 1000 again, plastic prime and clearcoat. they look brand new when their done.

VP-57-TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive series 2
how it looked on
photobucket-130561-1397623215267_zps2c0c300e.jpg

Mate that looks sweet.

My problem is my garnish looks clear on the top and outside edges where the stripes go and the centre is still red. do you think that will be able to be brought back to life as there is no cracks in it just faded.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mate that looks sweet.

My problem is my garnish looks clear on the top and outside edges where the stripes go and the centre is still red. do you think that will be able to be brought back to life as there is no cracks in it just faded.

i havent tried to fix the fade yet. if its faded like that its toast. the ones i did were just scratched and worn. no cracks or color fade. ive got a garnish thats faded like yours, was thinking i should try and do like a red candy concentrate or something to bring the color back. the time it would take and materiels the juice isnt worth the squeeze.

VP-57-TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive series 2
i havent tried to fix the fade yet. if its faded like that its toast. the ones i did were just scratched and worn. no cracks or color fade. ive got a garnish thats faded like yours, was thinking i should try and do like a red candy concentrate or something to bring the color back. the time it would take and materiels the juice isnt worth the squeeze.

Hey hi_ryder a candy composite would would I tried mucking around with my one with a rattle can of candy red paint and considering the bodgey job I did of spraying it, and it turned out ok'ish. you can still see the pattern that's meant to be there. I will try and post a photo when I can.