Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp commodore hard starting

travo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp commodore
hey i just baught a vp v6, it was kinda hard to start before, but i changed the plugs and i think its worse, it just cranks for a good 5 seconds and i give it some accelerator and it starts, i was thinking of changing the plugs again for better plugs, otherwise i was thinking starter motor, any advice would be appreciated, cheerz

voxbox

Reaction score
Website
www.doingitwrong.com
Members Ride
VN Exec
Is it hard to start when it's cold, or after you've just been driving it? or no difference?

Does the engine turn over while you've got the key turned?

travo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp commodore
hey mate, it does it when its hot and cold, it just cranks for ages then finally starts, also blows some smoke when it starts, smells like raw fuel, occasionally it starts first go but not often, it wont idle in park it just stalls, but once its in gear it drives really well..

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP vacationer, 95 VR II exec, 92 VP S Pack
fuel injectors probably dirty.

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
my mates does this, so if i clean injectors should be fine or??

voxbox

Reaction score
Website
www.doingitwrong.com
Members Ride
VN Exec
change the fuel filter(under the rear axle - yes, i know, great place), then try some injector cleaner. if that doesn't work, pull the injectors out(doesn't take long) and get them cleaned.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
check the vacuam hose on the fuel pressure regulator on the end of the fuel rail for petrol they leak out the diaphram and cause issues also the coolant sensor and its circuit inside the ecu fail and make for funny starting and general running.or as said above leaking injector but normally a leaking injector will start good first thing in the morning after sitting over night

travo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp commodore
now it has a bit of milky substance under the radiator cap, the coolant looks fine though, will try some injector cleaner and change the fuel filter, but now im more worried its done a head gasket or something???

travo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp commodore
also the oil is clean not milky or anything

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
check transmission oil?? the internal tranny cooler in radiator might have busted