Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vp Panhard bushes

Flatshiftn_Vp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
Hey Guys.
so i has a wobby rear end. How hard is it to replace the panhard bushes. And how do i go about it

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If you get nolothane type bushes, they come in two pieces so they just push in by hand.The old bush, if its original will sometimes need to be cut out with a knife.Ive ran into a few like this now that Ive had to cut out to replace them.Its not hard to do though.

Portunio

The Gaffa Tape Wizard
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S2 V6
Its fairly straightforward, jack up the rear of your car and place it on stands. Next, undo the retaining bolt at each end and pull or pry the panhard rod free from the vehicle. Next step is to press out the old bushes using a hydraulic press, alternativley you can press them out using a bench vice and a socket of the same diamater (or slightly smaller) as the bush. From here on the proceedure to fit new bushes is the reverse of removal. Remember to grease up the new bush before attempting to press it in.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I wouldnt bother mucking about pressing the old ones out,it takes all of 10 seconds to cut them out with a knife.And the nolothane type bushes come with a packet of grease.

Portunio

The Gaffa Tape Wizard
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S2 V6
The grease serves two purposes, firstly it makes pressing the bushes in a shitload easier. Secondly it stops the new bushes from creaking and squeaking as certain loads and forces act upon the suspension.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Dishwashing liquid/liquid soap is preferable to grease though as it will wash away after installation and not interfere with the way the bushes are meant to work. You can install them dry but it's a bit more difficult.

Snap-on

Boilermongrelin
Reaction score
Members Ride
82 VH, 99 VT
Just did mine the other week. I pressed the old ones out, but cutting them would work. I replaced them with single piece press in superpro bushes. Just greased them up with the grease provided, and with one good smack with the hammer, they fell in!

Flatshiftn_Vp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
Well the bolts are being stubborn so i hit it with some wd-40 and ill attack it tomorrow moring