Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp ticking at low revs

stewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec and VP
Hey guys. I have a vp auto. When idling or at low revs, I hear a ticking noise coming from beyond the firewall. I lift the bonnet, but can't hear anything except engine noise. Seem to only hear it from inside the cabin. What on earth is it. I have to turn the radio up to get rid of the noise.
Stewie

VN-88

fiery red vn manual
Reaction score
victoria , lakes entrance, u live there tell me!!
Members Ride
vn v6 s1 manual
hey man, i have it too, but i think i can hear it wen i lift the bonnet, i believe its the tappets or tappers or what ever there called, actually lifters may be it, they tap you can get crap to stop it, doesnt bother me, my windy diff is alittle worse, worn bearing or something, u hear that all the time no matter what speed

daniel VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
how you doing vn88!!! i have a vr and i get a tapping sound coming from the back of the motor near the firewall but towards the bottom of the motor. i just dont no where it is coming from..... :b:

B

BR377

It might be the injectors, mine tick it sounds like a kinda pinging when im accelerating but its constant and in time with revs.
Open your bonnet and feel the injectors, if you can feel them tick than thats what it is.
Otherwise i got no idea :D

VN-88

fiery red vn manual
Reaction score
victoria , lakes entrance, u live there tell me!!
Members Ride
vn v6 s1 manual
i really dont think the ticking is anything bad just some people find it annoying, i dont really care i got more annoying things like breaking my back over every bump

Attachments

• 09-09-05_1048.jpg
    09-09-05_1048.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 222

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
i got avp manual with the dreaded ticking noise of annoyance and i got no idea wat it is all i know is when i out my clutch in it stops its louder when i start her first thing but i thought it was just the oil getting to the top of the enging to the lifters cause after 30 secs or so it quitens down but when i accelerate like you say it comes back but if i push the clutch in its gone

V

VNBOY

all buicks were made with that noise. i cant remember what causes it, ill find out for you.

basically you cant doa anything about it, and its not a bad thing so dont worry.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
VNBOY said:
all buicks were made with that noise. i cant remember what causes it, ill find out for you.

basically you cant doa anything about it, and its not a bad thing so dont worry.

total bs cause my g/fs ticks and shuts up after 30 secs and mine doent make a sound. you would have to be insane to believe its normal esecially when you can hear it in the cabin!!!!!!

the injectors should make a extreamly soft ticking and that is normal but you should be able to hear it unless you have the bonnet up and are listening for it. if i had a guess your ticking issues are either lifters, valves, tappets or stuffed injectors. and if i were you id put an oil pressure guage on it to make sure its not oil related.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
oh and your oil pressure should be 40psi on startup and 50 when at running temp

vinnywelsh

Bored Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 3.8L Berlina
Are you running the right thickness oil, this will have an effect on the noise produced by the tappets