Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP V8 code 44 and popping. And wouldn't start

Mr DOHC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Long one here, stay with me please.

I asked my wife to drive the other day while i watched my Kalmaker gauge screen while going for a 20km drive. I noticed the temp never got over 71 degrees. I looked at the maps and that still in the cold start region.
i did some research and the coolant temp sender on a 304 (PN TCS040 BTW) is common to die. Bought one and installed it, checked the Kalmaker screen and it hit 86-88, cool, drove it to work for the first time today.
As i got off the highway i saw the check engine light come on, i pooped myself. As i came to a stop it went out, hmm. I then drove down the road (decline) and i saw it come on again. Parked it and went to work.
Did some googling at work, got a list of ALDL codes and pulled code 44 from it, which states that the car was lean for 20 seconds (remember it happened when deceleration).
I left work early for a job interview, got there and realised i had 20 mins to wait and that i had parked in direct sun, tried to start the car and it just clicked, tried heaps of times and check neutral and park, no luck. Went in for the interview and it started afterwards.
On my drive home i could get the engine light to come on at will, all I had to do was decelerate down the hill with 0% throttle and after a bit it would do it. I could also avoid it by giving the car load and it would go away.
To me this says that my O2 sensor is bung from being constantly fed too much fuel by the incorrectly reading temp sender.
What do you think?

BTW, i pretty much have a VP 5000i map in the car with small changes to suit a 355

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Don't forget when you lift your foot, above a certain rpm the injection shuts off completely so there is only plain old air (21% oxygen) going straight past the sensor. ECU shold ignore that though. Maybe the O2 sensor has gotten a bit sluggish and slow to respond? Here is a good place to ask -> pcmhacking.net - Index page

Mr DOHC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't forget when you lift your foot, above a certain rpm the injection shuts off completely so there is only plain old air (21% oxygen) going straight past the sensor. ECU shold ignore that though. Maybe the O2 sensor has gotten a bit sluggish and slow to respond? Here is a good place to ask -> pcmhacking.net - Index page

Would they shut off completely? The car would stall.

Mr DOHC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Took the car for a drive last night and noticed on the Kalmaker screen that the O2 sensor signal gets down to 30mv. This is when the light comes on.
Does anyone know if this is too low?