Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP V8 Gas/LPG Pump Wont Shut Off

VNCalais3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V6 S1, VP Executive V8 Wagon
Hi All,
I got a bit of a situation with my VP V8 Wagon Duel Fuel With Donut Tank.
Owned the car for 6 months now, i have never used the gas system in it.
Cut a long story short, i heard a relay switching under the bonnet popped the bonnet had a look and its a relay for the gas/LPG system. Everytime the relay would tick the Gas pump would turn on or off.
The only way i could figure out how to stop it was to pull the fuel pump fuse out.
The cars ignition is in the off position. The Petrol/Gas switch in the car is on the petrol position.
I had a look behind the switch a could not find any stray or loose wires. i believe it is something to do with the electrical section of the gas system.
I don't plan on using the gas in a hurry and need to know if there is any quick fix apart from having to pull the fuel pump fuse out, this would only be a good quick fix if i could drive the car on petrol.
Any Suggestions, Comments, Diagrams Or Anything Related Feel Free To Help Out Would Be Muchly Appreciated

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
Everytime the relay would tick the Gas pump would turn on or off.
do you mean the petrol pump ?
if so bridge the relay wiring from pin 30 and 87 to remove this relay control of the fuel pump .

VNCalais3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V6 S1, VP Executive V8 Wagon
Hi strgas
Thanks for the reply.

The relay ticks once after putting the fuel pump fuse back in, give it 30 more seconds then it clicks again and continues that.
There is a strong smell of gas after doing this for a min or so. If i get in it and turn the ignition over to on i can hear the fuel pump kick in,
the fuel pump seems to have a continuous hisssssss as with the gas pump it seems to have a pause in the hiss hiss hiss hiss. if you get what i mean.
The relay is a stand alone one under the bonnet up near the passenger side strut tower. Is there a wire that goes to the fuel pump off
the gas system to disengage the fuel pump when switched to gas.
I thought of just disconnecting the whole thing but there is an electronic valve lock fitted to the gas tank somewhere and the fuel pump might be tapped into it somewhere.
I'm pretty sure its not the fuel pump because i can pull the fuel pump relay out and put the fuel pump fuse in and the pump starts up.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
It's not a commodore but when the gas is no longer needed on the pintara (switched to petrol), it does shut the lpg off completely until I switch it back.

Also if the car is cranked but not started on LPG, the Gas shuts off.

Maybe your LPG switch is faulty? Or some of the wiring is shorting together at the back of it? Could even be a dud relay.

Just an idea.

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
You should be able to shut off the gas supply manually with a tap near the gas tank, then it shouldn't matter.