Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VP - VZ] How To Put Together An IRS Diff DIY Style + How To Identify An LSD

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Can someone shine a little light on how they have removed the bearing cups that are in the carrier adjusters. The ones that wind in either side. Cheers

Did you ever get this sorted?

This is one I did last night at work......
0-02-07-ef4885520a56bfe213ef6c04f8883903f6f99aa7cf4d1dc8cf441318fd3e85e2_full.jpg

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hey Deuce how's your diff going man, get a good pattern? :)
Hey Wazza, The diff is finally in. Went for a short quiet drive and it is near silent. Hopefully I get the same results at speeds faster than 35kph.
I'll keep you posted.

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Great writeup but Damn, photobucket has removed 3rd party hosting pictures.

If i just want to add a Truetrac centre to an existing M80 diff, is there any requirement to buy any new shims?

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Hey guys I will fix the photos soon bloody Photobucket! I can't really know for sure with changing centres.

I would get some shims anyway they are cheap enough. You might change the centre and find you have a good pattern with your existing shims and that would be great. It would be handy to have some there though just incase your pattern is a little out. But since you're not changing the gearset I would say the first scenario is more likely.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
M80 = IRS so there are no shims. The bearings are held in a threaded hub/carrier so it's easy to adjust backlash and pre-load (with a little knowledge).

Nemesis_Dawn

Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VX SS A4
Can the photos be updated? I'm going to attempt rebuilding my diff soon and I can't seem to find any instructional posts other than this one, but it's hard to do when there are no photos.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Can the photos be updated?

Unfortunately I don't like your chances with that.
Photobucket is running an extortion scam on their customers and want them to pay some ridiculous amount of money to access their own photos.... A member on the forum mentioned that it was about $400.
I think you will find that lot's of people who had accounts have told Photobucket to Go F#ck Themselves. I know I would have.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry mate I have been meaning to fix this thread I had the same problem finding a good instructional for irs diffs too which is why I mad this thread. I will try and fix it soon. Bloody photobucket!

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I have fixed the pics but not sure how long they will work for.

To fix photbucket pics add "~original" behind the image file name

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks immortality I have now gone through the whole first post and changed the photo hosting service to imgur which has been working well for me lately. (Fingers crossed they don't go the way of photobucket)So hopefully no more headaches bro and people can keep on building them diffs :)