Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VQ V8 statesman auto to manual conversion

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I believe there are four wires on the old auto inhibitor switch. Two are extended, and run to the transmission passenger side for the reverse switch, and two are shorted together to disable the nuteral safety.

What model of gearbox do you have?

(also, AWESOME decision converting it to manual ;))

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship

Disturbed_vegeta

I'd Prefer To ROAR!
Reaction score
Website
Www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VR Hsv Senator, VX SS, VZ SS Ute 6L, K9 GSXR1000
I believe there are four wires on the old auto inhibitor switch. Two are extended, and run to the transmission passenger side for the reverse switch, and two are shorted together to disable the nuteral safety.

What model of gearbox do you have?

(also, AWESOME decision converting it to manual ;))

yea my auto died...so it was either buy a new auto and shift kit it or go a 5 speed...and i wanted a clutch:thumbsup:. but i was told its from a early vr ss but not too sure about the exact model of it, also what did u do about your tail shaft? does it need to be changed or something because ive got both manual and stock auto ones.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I used the front from the manual donor car, and the rear from my car. Thats what you'll need to do aswell because of the LWB.

Snitz92

LPG Sucks.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'15 RG Colorado 2.8TD M6
Thinking of converting my VQ very soon, Auto box on the way out. Good info on this thread, cheers.

wes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5 spd man.
hi all im thinking about converting my 5 litre vq statesman from auto to manual..just wondering would i have to use a vn vp ss manual gearbox.or could i use a vr ss manual box?? any info would be great thanks matt

Sherro57

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VQ Statesman V8
I know this is a pretty old thread, but I've just finished a T5 manual conversion to my '90 5litre VQ.
Wow, what a difference to drive :)
Even though it's all pretty much OE gear, it was still a big job, but the end result has been well worth it.
I damaged one injector during conversion. I removed the engine to do other stuff while I was at it, took off the fuel rail & injectors off before slinging the donk out to avoid damage & give them an overhaul, but they fell off the bench while out :/ so I put in a set of VSII injectors which seem a heap better.
Mine was a bit temprimental with starting after doing the swap & the check engine light stayed on all the time? But it turns out the reduction starter was from a later Commodore with three prong solenoid (clutch safety switch) & it just stopped working after two sucessful starts, all the relays kicked in, starter was trying to turn over but wouldn't. I thought it may be a battery issue, but nope. I then put the original Bosch starter,,, yep the seemingly 20kg monster back in all the dramas went away, including the check light going out 2 kays after swapping starter motors