Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR 3.8 Manual - Hard to drive \ noise

mitchyp

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VRII V6 Executive 5 speed
Hey Guys,

Got a little issue with my VR thats getting annoying, it runs fine and the clutch still bites strong, thought its hard to get a perfect shift at pretty much any Revs, unless i really nurse the clutch pedal out it basically bunny hops slighty, sometimes i can hear a quick metal sound at the end of the clutch path ..

Uni joints ?

Cheers

mitchyp

Reaction score
Members Ride
no gurus that can help a red lion brother out ? ;)

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
gotta be something to do with the clutch/throwout bearing.Ive had mine out a couple of times and each time found the pilot bearing in the crank had loosened and spun.The last time I soaked it in oil for a couple of days and loctited it in.It had that shudder problem at take off the last time and a funny noise that happenned just at the end off the clutch travel.When I pulled it out the pressure plate fingers had a deep groove in it where the throwout bearing had been pushing on it and the noise was the outer race(which sits still) of throwout bearing contacting on the fingers and grinding them down.The clutch itself was from repco and from the wear in the plastic on the throwout bearing carrier it looked like the bearing retainer had worn too cocking the throwout bearing to one side as you loaded it up. The actual clutch linings and pressure plate face was perfect. I noticed the snout of the bearing retainer had a wear mark on one side ...bloke at the gearbox place said it was alright but now after consulting with mal wood I should have fixed it while it was out...kicking myself that I didnt.
The new clutch is a stocko excedy item and it seemed to be really good at first but now its bed in ,the little shudder is back.I have got a new retainer and steel throwout bearing carrier from mal wood to put in now to hopefully address this problem.
atm the clutch is a bit harder(only a little but you can notice it) to push in when the engine is running than when its turned off.

Last edited:

nuklestrppr

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 commo with standard headaches.
I had this problem with my Mazda ute, input shaft bearing was stuffed. I drove it for 9 years with that noise.

Beno1982

Beno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7L M6 sedan
I just converted my VS over from auto to manual and it cost me just under $1000 to replace the spigot bush. if this is what markovr is talkin about in his thread than to my knowledge from what my mechanic told me this is not meant to be loose in anyway, they said to me they had to lightly tap the spigot bush in to the back of the motor to keep it in tight, btw that $1000 included complete clutch kit thrust bearing and spigot bush inclusive of labour.

Mine kept on making an annoying whistling noise and if you rested your foot on the clutch pedal or lifted the clutch pedal just slightly noise would disappear not sure if this is what your experiencing.

mitchyp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pretty close, its mainly shifting 1st to 2nd - if im at say 3500rpm 1st gear shifting up as soon as i push the clutch in it sorta feels like there is too much torque for the clutch to handle-very heavy pedal, the car jolts in a way, then after shifting when releasing the clutch even if i nurse it all the way to the end, it feels like its grabbing on still, like the revs still haven't dropped off in the change - go figure lol