Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR 304 to VK 6 Cyl Doner Car Questions

kdanw

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Berlina ( Engineless)
Hello Brains trust,

I have spent some hours searching but chasing clarification.

I am currently converting my 85 VK Berlina Injected 6 and have found a doner car - VR ute which has been converted to a 304 with an auto behind it.
I assume i can use most if not all of the drive line, harness etc. but can the fuel tank and rear diff be used?

I know buying a converted car for a conversion could be sticky but how things are priced at the moment this is almost too good to leave behind

Cheers

EDIT: motor and box allegedly come out of a VR SS

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The ute diff will be wider and the shock mounts will be wrong. The fuel tank is VR ute specific.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hello Brains trust,

I have spent some hours searching but chasing clarification.

I am currently converting my 85 VK Berlina Injected 6 and have found a doner car - VR ute which has been converted to a 304 with an auto behind it.
I assume i can use most if not all of the drive line, harness etc. but can the fuel tank and rear diff be used?

I know buying a converted car for a conversion could be sticky but how things are priced at the moment this is almost too good to leave behind

Cheers

EDIT: motor and box allegedly come out of a VR SS
Does it engine run, can you drive it?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Simple really....efi 304 conversion for the vk!!!!

Ute roller will be next build with ls conversion haha.

Ute diff & fuel tank not worth the hassle.

You can use vk efi fuel tank with new external vl or vn replacement f/pump.

Don't even need to change or make fuel lines just bend them near m/cyl,brake booster area to suit 304 engine after it's installed.

Even to get car driving should be able to use trimatic tailshaft & 6cyl diff untill it breaks then get vl sedan diff..can fit vn-vs seadan diff but not ideal as can only run skinny stockers as most wheel hit.

If car is 85 model or later might already have borg warner diff under & just need new 28 spline axles made with vn-vs lsd,trutrack or whatever.

If diff yoke takes flat flange should be borgwarner diff...if takes cup universals & u-bolts it's junk diff in it like my 84 model vk.

vk 6cyl efi is best starting point for 304 conversion.

kdanw

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Berlina ( Engineless)
Simple really....efi 304 conversion for the vk!!!!

Ute roller will be next build with ls conversion haha.

Ute diff & fuel tank not worth the hassle.

You can use vk efi fuel tank with new external vl or vn replacement f/pump.

Don't even need to change or make fuel lines just bend them near m/cyl,brake booster area to suit 304 engine after it's installed.

Even to get car driving should be able to use trimatic tailshaft & 6cyl diff untill it breaks then get vl sedan diff..can fit vn-vs seadan diff but not ideal as can only run skinny stockers as most wheel hit.

If car is 85 model or later might already have borg warner diff under & just need new 28 spline axles made with vn-vs lsd,trutrack or whatever.

If diff yoke takes flat flange should be borgwarner diff...if takes cup universals & u-bolts it's junk diff in it like my 84 model vk.

vk 6cyl efi is best starting point for 304 conversion.
Legend mate thank you very much, answered a lot of questions I hadn’t asked yet.

will check the diff tomorrow, cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There are LSD options for a 10 bolt if you can find one.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Nah Losh only factory v8 cars got that Salisbury & disc brakes...diff in it iirc basically banjo internals not worth spending money on after they break.

If later vk borgwarner it will be similar to n/a vl 6cyl diff with 25spline single spinner & drum brakes...these can be easily upgraded with money.

**vk borgie housing slightly narrower than vl with different length axles to vl.

If yours was earlier model like my efi vk probably manual steering with junk diff...if later than big bonus slider door locks & borgie diff.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Nah Losh only factory v8 cars got that Salisbury & disc brakes...diff in it iirc basically banjo internals not worth spending money on after they break.

If later vk borgwarner it will be similar to n/a vl 6cyl diff with 25spline single spinner & drum brakes...these can be easily upgraded with money.

**vk borgie housing slightly narrower than vl with different length axles to vl.

If yours was earlier model like my efi vk probably manual steering with junk diff...if later than big bonus slider door locks & borgie diff.
What I meant was if OP can find a 10 bolt there are now LSD upgrade options. The 10 bolt with a Kaaz will be better than a BW with a standard cone centre or single pegger.