Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr 5.0 help

kilbz/vr-caprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr caprice
if anyone has any ideas : vr caprice 5.0litre, cut out while driving one day.. suspected fuel pump of course as spark was adequate, car started and drove for a few more days and cut out again, would idle for 15 mins roughly then cut out and wouldnt start for an hour or so. so i chucked in a new fuel pump (+ half a tank of juice) drove 20k's to work around town a bit 20k's home turned it off now its kicking over still full spark but no go... WTF?!!! when the pumps acivated before start up (second click with the key) its buzzing away fine but i can hear fuel slushing about in the tank, it made the same noise when it origionally screwed up. any ideas most appreciated before i torch the thing for the $$$ cheers

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
most likely the hall effect sensor, get a new dizzy and try that.

Have a search of the forum, there are heaps of threads about hall effect sensors failing lately on the 5.0 V8 engine.

Ive had one fail in me last year, exact same symptoms you describe.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
if its not the hall effect sensor check the ignition module, they are also known to play up. and while you're at it check that ur earth leads are on tight and in good nick. a loose negative lead on my motor shut mine down not long ago for a few hours until it cooled down

kilbz/vr-caprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr caprice
Cheers will sus them both out just a thought though... would the gap sensor mean no spark cos that was fine. As with the ignition module