Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR auto no 1st or 4th

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
Hey guys,

My VR auto has been unable to shift into gears 1 and 4. The wiki page for the 4L60E transmission (this is what the VR uses, right?) says the 1-2 shift solenoid is on for both these shifts so I assumed it was faulty. An 82 diagnostics error code (1-2 Shift Solenoid “A” Fault) seemed to confirm my assumption. After buying a new solenoid and installing it with new filter and ATF I was surprised to find the problem was not solved and the code 82 returned after an ECU reset. Can anyone confirm that the passenger side solenoid (of a right hand drive holden) is indeed the 1-2 (and drivers side the 2-3)?

Any other ideas on what could be wrong if I did change the correct solenoid? Yeah, I should have done them both but parts are expensive over here.. :| Holden wanted to sell me one for $250!

Trikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SV6 Manual
did the one you replace have the valve with a spring pushing it against the solenoid?
If it did then you replaced the correct one otherwise you have replaced the 2-3 solenoid instead

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Looking at the diagram below, the solenoid nearest the control valve body (big round looking thing at the back) is the 2-3 shift solenoid. The other one is the 1-2 shift solenoid. If you replaced the passenger side one, you replaced the wrong one.

Attachments

• 4L60e Control Valve Body and Wiring Harness.jpg
    4L60e Control Valve Body and Wiring Harness.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 34,685
Last edited:

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the help. :)

I replaced the drivers side solenoid today but still get a code 82 and no 1st or 4th. Any ideas what could fix it?

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is it common for the ECU to not send the signal to the solenoid or is it more likely a dodgy connection somewhere? What path does the wiring take to the transmission and where are the best places to check? Thanks in advance.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Check/replace fuse F12 in the main fuse panel assembly (behind cover on lower RHS of instrument panel).

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Fuse F12 was still good. Are there some wires I can test to see if the fault is in the trans or the ECU?

Trikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SV6 Manual
cannot say I have heard of an ECU causing this fault, when you replaced the solenoid did the clip on the plug break at all?
I would most likely suspect that you have an issue with the wiring in the auto as it gets effected by the heat etc and becomes very brittle