Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Brake upgrade??

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hi guys,

Just wondering what to do with my brake as everybody knows the brakes on a Vr commodore really arent that great.. i was just wondering what would be the easiest upgrade and if anyone has actually done it.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
I havent done it but i think VT brakes are an easy upgrade! Someone should correct me soon...

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I think the Ve is the easiest so i hear because the calipers have smaller pistons and can run off the stock booster. I went for the Vt upgrade as the ve wasnt available at the time. Vt was a 5 min job to bolt up(well maybe a few more minutes:p), but basically they bolt up real easy. Ve i beleive require an adaptor for the caliper and i dare say for the rotor too(like the Vt rotors). But in saying all of that, do some research on the ve setup. If it runs with the stock booster(like really well, not like the vt's where they work but not real great and too loooonnngg a pedal), then the ve will be easier to setup and probably worth the extra few bob you may pay.

slayer208

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS-II Esteem
I haven't completed my upgrade on my VS-II but am in the process of doing so. Just waiting on some bits in the mail to finnish the job. There's no difference in my doing a VT brake upgrade from your car to mine, so you're lucky there. First thing's first, if you're gonna do the brake upgrade you'll definately need a budget! I initially thought whack on a set of VT/VX calipers and that's it! truth is it's not! You're gonna need bigger rotors and pads to suit, conversion hoses and either a modded VT+ booster with master or a VS booster with a VT+ master unit to get the best out of it all. The VT/VX brake upgrade is however quite easy to do. First of all after you've got all the gear you need, you'll need to jack the car up with the front wheels removed. Then you'll have to take off the rotors. Once this is done, you can see how the calipers fit on the hubs and you'll notice that you'll have to get in there with a grinder to remove the excess dust cover. Gotta cut that down to size to clear the new calipers. Once this is done you'll have to either use either VT+ rotors with the VS centre hole "DB040B" or use standard VT+ rotors "DB040" with the egg-ring spacers to pack up the slack from the rotor to the wheel hub. This slack is only 1.7mm but is enough to cause damage if it's not dealt with. Once that's done you'll find the original brake hoses will be a little too short, so you'll have to get new ones. Race brakes sydney is good for this, and I got a set of s-steel braided ones for $150. Now for the next challenge you'll find out that your braking system probably won't be up to spec as far as the master unit goes. No point trying to change the master from the VR with one from a VT+ as i've been told they won't fit, however if you get a VS booster that will be a direct fit. There are some other options as far as it goes also. You could pay the $500 for a VT+ booster and master that's already converted for your VR or buy a good secondhand VS booster and VT/VX master cylinder. Once you've got that all sorted you've just gotta bleed the system like mad. The cost of it all?? You can get basic conversion kits from ebay for around the $700 mark with solid rotors and standard pads but will still have to deal with the master/booster seperately. A secondhand booster/master unit won't cost too much though. Maybe $100 at the most if you're smart.

The cost for me to get the conversion parts is as follows:

$75 - VX master/booster "just wanted the master"
$100 - VX Calipers
$180 - Drilled and slotted rotors with performance brake pads
$50 - Egg ring spacers
$192 - Stainless Steel braided hoses with adaptor for VS booster to VT+ master cylinder
$40 - PBR caliper seal kit "recommended when using secondhand calipers"
$40 - Brake fluid and caliper paint

Total Cost = $677

Don't know if the brake upgrade is really worth that sort of money but there it is! Won't know if it was really worth it until the conversion is finnished!

Hope this helps ya' champ!

Cheers!

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner

slayer208

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS-II Esteem
Definately go the VE setup if you've got the coin. Might be worth the hassles, and at least you won't have to play with the master/booster.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Easiest and least expensive upgrade is change the rotors to slotted rotors and buy a good set of brake pads that don't fade easily. Rotors are cheap so if the pads have to chew them out to make it stop better so be it. the sort of money needed to upgrade the brakes to VT or VE is getting up to a large % of the value of the entire car so it's probably not worth it and probably better to upgrade to a newer car as they have a lot of other safery improvements as well unless you really like your current car.

I had a VN with 14" wheels and those brakes are worse than those on a VR/VS and I just used slotted rotors and found a brand and type of pad that worked well and they were good enough for me after that. I think the pads were from Australian Friction Industries, they are in Liverpool, Sydney and have been making asbestos free for a long long time. I used their harder compound which has a red dot on the packet. Australian Friction Industries Pty Ltd Australian Brake Lining Co.

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Wow didnt expect a responce like that.. must say thanks everybody vrwagz i will be looking into the VE upgrade and ill get back to everybody with what it turns out.. just wondering if i will have to change my master... or will i need anything more really than rotors calipers and adaptors. And also would like to say thanks to slayer208. if i dont get to lucky with the VE upgrade i will definately look into the VT/VX thanks alot for your responce mate you've been a good help let me know how your upgrade ends up huh?