Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Buick V6 timing chain/balance shaft noise ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE!!!

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
There will be a very small amount on a new chain (still some) but the tensioner will not be pressing in as far as it is in your pic above.

To check correctly, hold the damper/tensioner away.
Measure how much it moves on the slack side.
Must be less than 25.4mm

Looking at your pic... I'd say it's stretched almost to that point.

Azwellaz

Kickin' it ole skool
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT SS 5.0
There will be a very small amount on a new chain (still some) but the tensioner will not be pressing in as far as it is in your pic above.

To check correctly, hold the damper/tensioner away.
Measure how much it moves on the slack side.
Must be less than 25.4mm

Looking at your pic... I'd say it's stretched almost to that point.

And you would be correct sir, i just removed the tensioner and measured side to side movement with a measuring tape and it pretty much has the 25.4mm in movement if not a touch more so yes looks like i am now replacing the timing set, thanks for your advice bud i really appreciate it :)

Cheers

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
The stock chains were fairly crap, replace it with a roller chain (like the cs6vp you linked earlier) stronger and won't stretch as quickly as the sandwich plate design
I wouldn't play around with the timing, I did try advancing one +4 degrees once, pulled like a train down low but ran out of puff up high and lacked trying to overtake in 100 zones.
As mentioned a double row is a bit of a waste on a stock engine, single works fine with a standard roller cam.

To answer your other question vn s2-vr s1 use the same set
The oil pump was changed in the vr s2 to the same as an ecotec as they were updating some of the engine parts.

Azwellaz

Kickin' it ole skool
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT SS 5.0
The stock chains were fairly crap, replace it with a roller chain (like the cs6vp you linked earlier) stronger and won't stretch as quickly as the sandwich plate design
I wouldn't play around with the timing, I did try advancing one +4 degrees once, pulled like a train down low but ran out of puff up high and lacked trying to overtake in 100 zones.
As mentioned a double row is a bit of a waste on a stock engine, single works fine with a standard roller cam.

To answer your other question vn s2-vr s1 use the same set
The oil pump was changed in the vr s2 to the same as an ecotec as they were updating some of the engine parts.

Mate, your an absolute champ, that was going to be my next question about the oil pump splines lol, i will be ordering the Crow CS6VP this week and using that :)
Thanks again
Cheers

de_overfiend

Beef is Good
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calias
you've come this far... replace the chain and tensioner and clean it up a bit.. the chain could still be worn badly. Better to fix it all now while you have it apart.

Azwellaz

Kickin' it ole skool
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT SS 5.0
you've come this far... replace the chain and tensioner and clean it up a bit.. the chain could still be worn badly. Better to fix it all now while you have it apart.

Thats what i am thinking bud, i ordered the timing set today, already have a tensioner, just playing the waiting game now

Cheers

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
1 more thing to add, be very careful removing the magnet from the top sprocket, the plastic will be brittle and can break up, try to get as much of the grime and **** off as possible before trying.

Azwellaz

Kickin' it ole skool
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT SS 5.0
1 more thing to add, be very careful removing the magnet from the top sprocket, the plastic will be brittle and can break up, try to get as much of the grime and **** off as possible before trying.

Thanks buddy, i didn't even think of that, does the magnet just pop out or is there a clip or something? i don't want to apply any force and break it then find it turns or has a clip or something like that to come out lol

Cheers

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
under all the black crap... there's 2 metal clips on either side that hold it there, so degrease and get as much off from the side it protrudes and soak the crap out of the back side where it will usually break (worse case if you can't source a newie and it breaks, sensor safe silicon it into the new one and let it set before use) treat it like an expensive thin glass piece.

Azwellaz

Kickin' it ole skool
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT SS 5.0
under all the black crap... there's 2 metal clips on either side that hold it there, so degrease and get as much off from the side it protrudes and soak the crap out of the back side where it will usually break (worse case if you can't source a newie and it breaks, sensor safe silicon it into the new one and let it set before use) treat it like an expensive thin glass piece.

Thanks for that mate, i will be as careful as i can, fingers crossed!

Cheers